Yakumo's Mega Drive paint mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yakumo's Mega Drive paint mod

So the the house is over run with Mega Drive systems that seem to come with every set of Mega Drive games I buy. So today I decided to paint one of the worst looking Mega Drives in the same Black & Silver style of my Dreamcast and Saturn mods. Tell me what you think. In total it only took a few hours to do and that includes letting the pain dry between coats. It was a nice hot day today so the paint dried quickly.

crappy mobile phone pictures, sorry.

Yakumo

I like it. Can you post pics of the dc and Saturn. Would also like to know what paint you used. I remember spraying a few SNES pads with car paint as a lad.

Comment

****ing superb, how did you sort the print type face above the controller ports, is that embossed?

Comment

That's really professionally done!

They'll all look neat under your telly!

Comment

My god, that's a beautiful paint job.

I want one.

Comment

Could've gone horribly wrong but I really like the way that you've left the ring and the sliders black. Also interested in the sort of paint you've used here, as the finish looks flawless. Do you have a "before" picture?

Comment

That looks great Yakumo, did you use the vinyl dye? Only thing i'd change is the reset button to either match the red in the ring or to black.

Comment

thanks for the comments guys.

The paint used is one made for plastics and comes in pretty much any colour you could ever want. It can be bought from any Japanese hardware store but I doubt they sell it outside of Japan. The brand is Asahi Pen and it's part of their Creative Colour series. I used the silver (No.90) with sparkles. It goes on like a dream. Just use nice sweeping passes over the item being sprayed at about 15cm up. I did 3 coats to get the final look. With the original colour being black, the silver sort of shows the black once it's dried in to the plastic. This is why you need a few coats to get a solid even finish.

Unfortunately, I don't have any before pictures. Basically it was a dirty bashed Mega Drive. I gave it a clean up, then went over the main black body with very fine glass paper to give the surface a nice key for the paint. sadly the big gash down the side of the console looks worse now than what it did when the console was still black.

The text on the system is actually official Sega stickers that I bought about 5 years ago from Sega Direct. I had Saturn and Dreamcast sets too.

Oh, and as requested, here's the family.

The Saturn and Dreamcast were done about 4 years ago and get used quite a bit. So as you can see, the paint is pretty hard wearing.
                Last edited by Yakumo; 17-08-2012, 17:44.

Comment

The the first two bring back memories i have seen them pop up many times in the background hehe.

Some quality painting as usual.

Comment

Nice! I hope you did the pad too!

Comment

Nice, reminds me of my old amstrad stereo for some reason? >retro itch<
                      Last edited by SuperDanX; 17-08-2012, 23:06.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Quite like that. Think the DC would have looked a bit better with the lid painted too.

Comment

He he, yeah the Saturn and DC can be seen in the background of many videos and fits since they are my daily consoles.

I haven't made a pad yet (no more silver paint) but the DC has a custom pad and VMU. They all look cool.

Comment

Loving that Dreamcast.

Comment

Working...
                              X