FEZ revew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FEZ revew

So, 4 years in the waiting and it's finally here!
    Wooo!

For those who aren't aware, this is a 2D platform game with charming pixel art graphics (technically voxel art)
    Little Gomez is your character, a 2D guy in a 2D world, that is until one day something happens and it all breaks. The world goes 3d.

Using your newfound dimension you can rotate the world and look at it from the front,back left or right, using L an R to rotate around these views.

It's a fairly pure platform game so far, no real brain bending puzzles, mostly just collecting. Whilist looking for the collectables you need to proceed, you have to view all surfaces of the world, looking for the collectables themselves aswell as doors.

From 1 view , a giant hole between 2 platforms may be impassable, but rotate it around and you may even find yourself standing where you need to be next. Tricky to explain until you play it, if you've played Crush on PSP, Crush 3D on 3DS or even echochrome, you will kinda of already know what I mean.

The visuals are enough to melt any gamers heart, painsteakingly hand crafted pixel block by pixel, each 2D object is infact 3D. Think minecraft.

The sound is lovely too, Nes-esque atmospheric chip music.

I've done the first few levels, and have liked what I've seen.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Fez!!!!
    Been waiting years for this. Instantly downloded Playing it now (literally just started)

Love the zelda 1 title screen reference in the first room you start in.

Comment

I'm definitely feeling lost now, in a good way. So, so many areas to visit but i have noticed the longer you play the more it stutters on loading in areas, proberly best it hit it up for 1hr or so then quit out, instead 3hrs of wondering like i've just done.

Hopefully the "?" rooms will figure out themselves in time, but i can only think that they might be suggestions to secrets found elsewhere and the treasures map have me stumped to.

Really enjoying it so far.

Comment

I'm the same as importaku, had told myself i wasn't going to buy the game due to the developer but it has ended up seriously winning me over!

Music is sublime as well

Comment

I assume the same achievement as importaku made me laugh too Bit overwhelmed so far as each door opens a new area but so far its great. Music is amazing imo

Comment

Finished the game with the basic requirements of

32 assorted cubes

, opens up a new game+ to find everything else, and there still lot to find based on my inventry and world map.

the ending was nuts..

got to be a new ending based on the cubes collected, going on the cube filling animation at the start of the ending.

great game.

Comment

Really have no idea why so may people are raving about this , found it rather dull and boring myself

Comment

Same here. Very dull.

Comment

After trying the demo it won me over in minutes as i found it really charming & rather mysterious, the music is indeed great it adds a lot of atmosphere but the thing i love about it is it's surrealness, the design of the tiny islands is great with them just hanging there in space/ocean & each one leading into another via the doors & the mysterious rooms that contain puzzles but with no huge obvious clues on how to solve them, if you look hard enough you can figure them out but not always at the time. Theres so much to find & i have explored so little so far but im loving it.

Found the start pretty funky especially when he gets his fez i thought my xbox was on the blink lol.
                  Last edited by EvilBoris; 14-04-2012, 22:25.

Comment

Well the little tutorial thing is well too annoying, and so much press B to read tedious crap almost as bad as Navi from Zelda
                    I will spend some more time on it later, I like the main mechanic but not too fussed about the rest of it so far.

Comment

Oh my! seems to you need new game+ to get everything as you get a new ability, also this is the first game this generation to actually make me get a pen and paper out...

Comment

Tried the trial and seems pleasant enough with some nice ideas but there wasn't anything there that screamed out that I had to buy this right now.

Will probably pick it up when it's 400 points on a daily deal at Christmas.

Comment

I am loving it, so so much. First playthrough was brilliant, but the new game plus where I'm mainly after anti-cubes is just a whole other thing. Just managed to work out the patterns on those monoliths and when the theory worked it was just amazing. I don't think I'll ever get all 64 cubes, but I'm on fifty and I'm going to give it a bloody good go! I need to translate the alphabet. I need more scrap paper. Absolutely warrants the review scores though. It's slow to get going, but when you start messing with the more complex stuff, oh man.
                          Last edited by toythatkills; 14-04-2012, 16:06.

Comment

Posts deleted, please keep the discussion relevant for a first play thread.

Comment

Originally posted by C' View Post
                              Tried the trial and seems pleasant enough with some nice ideas but there wasn't anything there that screamed out that I had to buy this right now.
                              This has one of the worst trials on XBLA for me. Sure it allows you a look at the mechanics but is totally soulless and devoid of most of the charm from the actual opening of the game (it's just cobbled together from bits further on).

It may not sway your opinion into buying the game now, but don't take it as representative of the full final experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X