Kickstarter thread and what would you like to see kickstarted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
    Well after all the projects i have backed comes the first failed project Beasts fury is cancelled.

Though granted i knew it would be a risk so did not give that much to it.
    Looking at it, they were trying to make a full Guilty Gear-style indie game for ?22k. That was never going to work.

One of the big problems with Kickstarter is that people massively underestimate how much things cost - or, even worse, they work out how much things will cost, and look at the figure, thinking "wow that's a lot of money" and cut it down, even though they've just worked out that's how much it costs.

People are so worried about not getting over that minimum threshold that they set it very low, but by doing that they're shooting themselves in the foot. They should just state how much is required (and if they do it right, that isn't a matter of opinion, it's practically fact). They should also multiply their final figure by x1.3 for contingency purposes, because something's always going to go wrong (or something unexpected will crop up).

Having done the maths for various creative projects in the past, I look at many of these and just despair. Some of them might still manage it, because they're a labour of love on part of the creator (and they're not expecting to make money; they just want funding for equipment/software etc. that they can't afford on their own) but many of them have no chance.
    Last edited by Asura; 08-01-2016, 11:14.

Comment

Yeah in the end if you look at how much they were asking for rather then the amount of attempts it was only the last indigogo campaign that was asking for probably the actual amount they needed the previous times it was really pittance.

Though they have REALLY annoyed people by saying this

"I would like to let everyone know whats going on.( Actually we have talked with Kickstarter and Indiegogo representatives and also lawyers. We have fulfilled both campaigns requirements and delivered the playable demo with 2 finished characters. and all the games mechanics and also sent out all the the campaigns physical rewards that's what we promised and that's exactly what we delivered. and we actually have refunded some people and we are doing so when we are able to do so )"

And they have even said they rejected offers from publishers as it does not meet there needs....well i would argue now that is better then not releasing it at all

Comment

The other thing about Kickstarter is that a lot of these people may have no real experience in how to manage teams and budgets, leading to inefficiencies and poor prioritisation on what is already a tight amount of money.

Comment

Just found this video today

I did not know they had two crowdfunding attempts before the three i knew about and if what he says it is true that is really bad

"edit " AND They did a patreon
          Last edited by eastyy; 08-01-2016, 13:31.

Comment

Whilst we're putting it all out on show, Project Phoenix is above and beyond the biggest turkey I've supported. Original estimate for delivery: March 2015. Current plan? Mid 2018

Comment

This doesn't surprise me. Before the days of crowdfunding, people often embarked on game and mod projects that didn't go anywhere, due to team arguments, lack of leadership, poor inception, lack of necessary skills or any number of other reasons. I know; I was part of some of them!

The difference is that back then, people did that stuff with their own time & resources. Failing was a disappointment (and often a learning experience) but that was that.

An issue with the Kickstarter-age is that this is still happening a lot - but now, money is involved, and things aren't so simple.

Maybe, for videogames, Kickstarter should do what they require for physical products - insist that a demonstration/prototype model already exists, which in game terms would be some sort of playable demo.

Comment

Anyone checked this out?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/noctet/slipstream

Looks good, but at the moment it's pretty much a copy of Outrun.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyburn16 View Post
                  Anyone checked this out?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/noctet/slipstream

Yeah saw it but felt like it was trying to hard to copy something rather then branch out and be a little bit more ambitious. Kind of like what the 80s Game The Great Giana Sisters was to mario

Comment

This looks right up your street, @Soundwave. It's a G.I. Joe-style co-op card game:

Last edited by QualityChimp; 09-03-2016, 09:37.

Comment

Not backed anything in a long time but i think this will be my next one

Comment

Originally posted by Cyburn16 View Post
                        Anyone checked this out?

Looks like Outrun after fun bypass surgery.

Comment

RTS game set in 1920s but seems like with Steam punk style machines.

I checked up on there previous projects and they do seem mixed steam reviews are one game very positive, another mostly positive and the other mixed. But at least all were made and mostly on time with i think one game being six months late...which by Kickstarter standards i still think that is not to bad.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                            https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...&ref=discovery
                            RTS game set in 1920s but seems like with Steam punk style machines.
                            This is probably trying to ride the positive wave that Scythe and its expansion have generated. I might back this myself, but not right now as there are many more expenses to go through.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                              This is probably trying to ride the positive wave that Scythe and its expansion have generated. I might back this myself, but not right now as there are many more expenses to go through.
                              After reading the Kickstarter i do have a few worries though, seems like the kickstarter would not cover the entire budget unless it does really well and they are hoping to get a publishers backing for it, Also them planning a Alpha in only a few months just seems a bit to soon unless they are further along then i thought

Comment

Giving someone free money while a publisher comes along and gains exclusive rights to profits, even though it’s almost funded?

Seems like an awesome idea, throw away guys!

Comment

Working...
                                X