No announcement yet.

Game & Gamestation: GAME credit woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With Game I've generally found its main use is in trading when it comes to new releases and new console launches. They stumble hard in trying to fleece customers with their trade prices though, you can always price match but you shouldn't have to. They focus far too much on short term profit and its the mid to long term that catches them out. I've no doubt they'll go under again.

I still maintain there's a place for games shops which deal in new releases, the street level presence for business and for the big 3 cannot be under estimated. But if Game were to fall hopefully it would lead to new replacements rather than a gaping hole in the market.

Certainly, these days, for most games it's becoming increasingly worthwhile buying a top tier PC as the mid to long term savings more than pay for itself.

Comment

Originally posted by gambit6613 View Post
      Does anyone know if each individual sets prices for new games? I dont for recall new games being this expesnive in Basingstoke store for example.
      Yep, Brentwood in Essex always charge a fiver more for new games than other GAME stores locally. Perception of a more affluent area with money to burn rightly or wrongly.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      The GAME stores I've known over the years can't satisfy these two points - and their prices are through the roof; for instance, since Wind Waker was repriced by Nintendo to ?20, the copies seem to have vanished from the local store. They could've sold out, but I suspect they've just pulled them off the shelves, considering they're still selling pre-owned WiiU games for ?40.
      That new price point don't come in to effect until third week in April so sure they would be trying to milk the high price point rather than the opposite. That would be the logical business move, but hey what do we know.

Comment

Originally posted by VR46 View Post
        That new price point don't come in to effect until third week in April so sure they would be trying to milk the high price point rather than the opposite. That would be the logical business move, but hey what do we know.
        In that case, I'm willing to retract that specific example. However, I feel the general point still stands.

I mean my local is charging ?15 for second-hand Amiibos.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          In that case, I'm willing to retract that specific example. However, I feel the general point still stands.

I mean my local is charging ?15 for second-hand Amiibos.
          Begs the question just who the hell is buying second hand Amiibos at ?15? Most of them can now be easily found brand new and for less.

Comment

They are probably priced that high so the credit people accumulate through trading in gets eaten up by in store purchases quicker. Much like CEX do with their new releases.

Comment

GAME are set to halve the value of their Reward Points

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                The rewards scheme, though never outstanding, was at least a small reason I might choose GAME over another high street option, especially if buying something big. Guess they've given me another reason to go elsewhere.

Comment

spend £100 get a quid, wooo what value lol

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...points-at-game

This is the final nail in the coffin for them, their £35 a year elite scheme is getting its reward points cut in half too. under the old system you got 2% back so a £1 for every £50 spent , you now get 1% , £1 back for every £100

i think their being a bit stupid and they should of added more reasons for customers to come back to their store, your more likely to go back to game if you think "oh i have a few quid i can knock of my next purchase" 9 times out of ten new releases are £10-7 cheaper elsewhere so its all a big smoke and mirror game anyway if you think about it, they should put this on there reward cards as a disclaimer

"we give you 1% back but we are 7-10% more expensive".

Comment

Sweet Jesus... What fresh hell is this?!

There are plans afoot to launch GAME concessions inside Sports Direct shops.Today GAME entered into a "collaboration ag…

Comment

A match made in heaven, the FIFA buying great unwashed now have a place they are truly welcome

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                            spend £100 get a quid, wooo what value lol
                            Same as Tesco’s clubcard?

Comment

Jesus just shoot the putrid cesspool in the head already. How the F in F’s name do these companies keep getting bailed out. It’s ALWAYS in the red, always in massive debt and always run straight back into the ground by some retard in a suit.

JUST KILL IT.

Comment

I don't disagree with your sentiment, however I don't think GAME Digital has been in the red since the 2012 Administration. In summary it's revenues have still been 800-900m a year (although falling). They are likely borrowing to fund some stock acquisition but ultimately still have a profitable business even if we all know it's not likely to keep its core business going forever. The administration allowed it to get rid of a huge number of it's staff without costs, walk away from expensive leases and rent arrears.

Comment

Working...
                                X