No announcement yet.

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will catch this if I can afford it as hearing good ratings for it so far. Glad to hear it isn't overcrowded with the cast, more interested in seeing now having recently watched American Horror Story and then realising that Evan Peters is who's playing Quicksilver.

Will throw a verdict up once viewed.

Comment

Well, what to say... it's good. For me it sits right in the middle of the pack for this franchise. It's one that is very enjoyable and has some good moments but the more you think about it afterward the more it grates. Quicksilver lives up to the reviews comments, brief but possibly one of the more memorable characters. Jackman continues to fit more and more into Logan's shoes too and nice to see other mutants who aren't as wet.

The bad? First known aspects:

-The future war, no time is given but it's reasonable to fit it into the very near future given cast age and it doesn't sell itself enough. It's too blamed on Sentinels who frankly, despite the 50 year history the film informs us of, have never been present enough to buy we've gone from last years Wolverine ending to this.

-Dinklage. He's awesome, any GoT fan knows this, but the film under utilises him

Now the real spoiler ones

-Magneto, specifically young Magneto. Kind of at a point where I personally am losing patience as he's quickly becoming a pantomime villain. His actions are getting so grand and betrayals so predictable that it's eye rolling to see everyone go through the same motions with him. Old Magneto was always the bad guy but given in the original timeline mutants were still secret in the late 90's, young Magneto's ease of grand gestures is hard to buy.

-Continuity: Yeah we get some nods but jesus christ some of the lack of effort is staggering. Wolverines returned adamantium claws? No explaination. Xavier back from the dead? No explaination. With a new timeline present as well they'll never explain it either now. Bad writing 101, Fox's inability to make this series cohesive as a whole is staggering.

-Pure editing but when Older Wolverine awoke in the new timeline at the end that scene annoyed me too. Cameo city and every dead character has survived in this new timeline. Best part, the next film is set in the 80's and we now know everyone survives Apocalypse just fine. Genius move, way to justify wiping the slate clean.

Don't get me wrong, it's an entertaining ride and a solid X-Men film, but old issues still persist and the bar is much higher in other franchises

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        Well, what to say... it's good. For me it sits right in the middle of the pack for this franchise. It's one that is very enjoyable and has some good moments but the more you think about it afterward the more it grates. Quicksilver lives up to the reviews comments, brief but possibly one of the more memorable characters. Jackman continues to fit more and more into Logan's shoes too and nice to see other mutants who aren't as wet.

The bad? First known aspects:

-The future war, no time is given but it's reasonable to fit it into the very near future given cast age and it doesn't sell itself enough. It's too blamed on Sentinels who frankly, despite the 50 year history the film informs us of, have never been present enough to buy we've gone from last years Wolverine ending to this.

-Dinklage. He's awesome, any GoT fan knows this, but the film under utilises him

Now the real spoiler ones

-Magneto, specifically young Magneto. Kind of at a point where I personally am losing patience as he's quickly becoming a pantomime villain. His actions are getting so grand and betrayals so predictable that it's eye rolling to see everyone go through the same motions with him. Old Magneto was always the bad guy but given in the original timeline mutants were still secret in the late 90's, young Magneto's ease of grand gestures is hard to buy.

-Continuity: Yeah we get some nods but jesus christ some of the lack of effort is staggering. Wolverines returned adamantium claws? No explaination. Xavier back from the dead? No explaination. With a new timeline present as well they'll never explain it either now. Bad writing 101, Fox's inability to make this series cohesive as a whole is staggering.

-Pure editing but when Older Wolverine awoke in the new timeline at the end that scene annoyed me too. Cameo city and every dead character has survived in this new timeline. Best part, the next film is set in the 80's and we now know everyone survives Apocalypse just fine. Genius move, way to justify wiping the slate clean.

Don't get me wrong, it's an entertaining ride and a solid X-Men film, but old issues still persist and the bar is much higher in other franchises
        I found it funny that not a single person made reference to Dinklage's height! Even in the non-PC 70s.

Okay, here's what you seemed to have missed!

(don't read this if you've not seen it!)

In an ALTERNATE 2023, the remaining mutants send Wolverine back to 1973.

Then the main events of the film happen.

At the end, by preventing the assassination of Trask, and having a mutant save the President's life, the X-Men have averted the Sentinel-ravaged future Wolverine was sent back from, but because he's not in the future timeline when it gets erased, he arrives back in his future body in the altered timeline.

So, the actions of the 1975 X-Men have apparently changed the future dramatically. Jean's alive, Cyclops is alive, the sentinels haven't overrun the earth and Wolverine's a teacher.

Continuity wise - First Class happened, the montage at the beginning of Origins happened (it's set before First Class) & the 1973 bit of DOFP happened. The second half of Origins (Logan & Victor going to Vietnam onwards), X-Men, X2, Last Stand & The Wolverine were all wiped.

1973 -2023 (the new present that Wolverine wakes up to) is all unknown history to us for now. Fox can fill it any way they like, including how Wolverine got his adamantium claws back. (Assuming he does, as he doesn't snikt them out in the epilogue).

Also, X-Men: Apocalypse is going to be set in the 80's so Fox are beginning to fill up those 50 years from 1973 - 2023. Apparently, there will be young versions of Cyclops, Jean, Storm & Nightcrawler (the events of X2 have been wiped & never happened, so now it's possible for a young Nightcrawler to meet the young X-Men) along with Channing Tatum's Gambit (Taylor Kitsch's Gambit was wiped & now never existed) & it will feature only the FC cast.

A lot of this was nicked off here:
        Confused by something in Days Of Future Past? James has got you covered. Here, he answers the most pressing questions about the film

I thought the film was ace and dealt with wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff admirably. Just don't over-analyse it unless you like migraines!

Comment

But...

Wolverine slices Kitty with the claws pre-timeline shift. Though Singer had said in a prerelease interview Magneto could have manipulated the adamantium in Wolves body to recreate them. Poorly handled though.

It still leaves Xaviers resurrection unsolved too.

The last bit is purely my own irritance I admit though, I just didn't like seeing everyone safe and sound in New-Future as it pins them down straight away for very little pay off. I'd have preferred older Logan to wake up and see it's safe then cut off.

Sentinels didn't seem paid off well either

Comment

Actually, I think I'd best sum my view of it up by putting it in series order for myself:

1-X Men 2
            2-X Men: First Class
            3-X Men: Days of Future Past
            4-The Wolverine
            5-X Men
            6-X Men 3: The Last Stand
            7-X Men Origins: Wolverine

Comment

Speaking about one of the points above.

He shouldn't have had his claws in the new timeline either right? As its Mystique that takes him at the end and not Stryker?

It was ok, I enjoyed it. Worth a watch if you don't think about the history to much.

Comment

In theory but undoubtedly coincidence will likely end up playing a big part in allowing them to reuse what they like. Flip side though, he's fine and well in present day so no drama to that plot twist either

Comment

Was really looking forward to this and thought it was a bit meh. The after credit scene though was amaze

Comment

Originally posted by djtickle View Post
                    Speaking about one of the points above.

He shouldn't have had his claws in the new timeline either right? As its Mystique that takes him at the end and not Stryker?

It was ok, I enjoyed it. Worth a watch if you don't think about the history to much.
                    But as mystique

doesn't kill people

it's likely that
                    is still alive anyway and can do what he would have done.

Comment

The whole film seemed to be an excuse to

undo all of the events of X3, right? Just so they could do the Phoenix story again but hopefully a lot better

I think I enjoyed First Class more but this was still pretty good. The first half was excellent but it did tail off towards the end. I agree that Eric's actions were just dumb and I didn't buy his sudden changes at all, the acting was fine but his character didn't work as well as it did in First Class. I thought McAvoy stole the show quite frankly... apart from that genuinely brilliant Quicksilver scene half way through the film.

Entertaining and a couple of fantastic set pieces (loved the portal gun power!), so despite a few grumbles about the plot and ending I think it's well worth a watch.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
                        The whole film seemed to be an excuse to

undo all of the events of X3, right? Just so they could do the Phoenix story again but hopefully a lot better

I think I enjoyed First Class more but this was still pretty good. The first half was excellent but it did tail off towards the end. I agree that Eric's actions were just dumb and I didn't buy his sudden changes at all, the acting was fine but his character didn't work as well as it did in First Class. I thought McAvoy stole the show quite frankly... apart from that genuinely brilliant Quicksilver scene half way through the film.

Entertaining and a couple of fantastic set pieces (loved the portal gun power!), so despite a few grumbles about the plot and ending I think it's well worth a watch.
                        Hmm .. Pretty much agree with the above, it redeemed itself by the time the end credits rolled though.

I do prefer First Class also, but this is as good as X and X2, and in the end the time travel was put to good use, which is often not the case.

Good to see

The old gang back though in the end

, and also very briefly

Anna Paquin

, hopefully there will be an extended version on BR which restores that characters scenes.

Comment

Apparently her scenes revolved around all the future scenes

where she was healing Kitty, so were removed because they killed the tension of Kitty being on her last legs keeping Logan in the past.

Might crop up as deleted scenes though in the extras

Comment

I do wonder where they going to go next though ..

Obviously the end credits spoiler will lead us on to

Age Of Apocalypse

, but the 'old' cast is getting well 'old' now ... And even though they

are all pretty much intact again

I can't see another film using the old cast, maybe a film with

Logan, Rogue, Jean & Scott

might work, but Prof X and Magneto are getting on a bit in their 'old' form.

Comment

Following on from its announcement last year, it now appears we know how much longer the extended ‘Rogue Cut’ of “X-Men: Days of Future Past” will be. The news came via the British Board of Film Classification which listed the new ‘Rogue Cut’ release with a running time of 142 minutes and 37 seconds. In […]

The BBFC have rated X-Men: Days of Future Past - Rogue Cut as being 11 minutes longer than the theatrical version, though Singer says it will be over 17 minutes longer

Comment

Working...
                              X