Ignoring the way a game is supposed to be played

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignoring the way a game is supposed to be played

I think we had a similar thread on this, but I can't find it.

Anyway, I was playing the Sharqi Peninsula map from the new Battlefield 3 Back to Karkand Pack, and I'm trying to take the TV Station in Conquest Mode (like Domination in COD).

I eventually get it on my own, presumably much to the annoyance of the large group of defenders. Once I'm on the roof, I'm getting the mortar out and stopping them coming back. The rest of my squad starts appearing and sniping and it gradually turns into a Squad Vs Squad match! The enemy squad were completely ignoring the conquest objective in the TV Station and just trying to take the roof.

After a while, all hell breaks loose as 75% of the players are getting stuck into a massive battle in the one building, with helicopters and tanks all making a bee-line for the TV Station.

Everyone had started ignoring the way the game is supposed to be played and had created a new game - Capture The Roof!

Frankly it was hilarious, with everyone crowded into the tiny stairwell and a few lucky people parachuting on to the roof from the chopper. I could have played it for far longer, but the attrition rate was so high that tickets were disappearing at a massive rate.

Fantastic fun.

Have you experienced any other games where ignoring the objective also turns out to be fun?

We used to mess around in CoD2. Your post reminded me of how one person would hide in the watertower and the rest would team up to take them out. We'd also play hide and seek, firing off shots to help the others get "warmer".

Many, many laughs were had!

Comment

In any military flight simulator I would take off in a campaign mission, only to wander around the map, ignoring the mission obectives or declining calls during CAPs, often doing the craziest maneuvers to see how my wingmen would react.
      Also, formation commands when grounded: in Jane's F-15 your wingman would increase (or decrease!) altitude with landing gear down and engines off in a perfect vertical motion if ordered to break high (or low).
      Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 15-12-2011, 06:20. Reason: spelling

Comment

Back in the day a a friend of mine invented a game within the facility on Goldeneye where the goal was for one team (ie. 2 players) to protect the armour behind the door at the end of the corridor while the other team had to try and collect it (after killing the other players, of course).

To be honest I found playing by the game's rules more fun so it doesn't quite fit the thread but it was something that came to mind.

Comment

Ha ha ha, I used to cane a PS1 Ace Combat demo, but ended up trying to fly through a suspension bridge without crashing. Super-precise flying was needed!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Comment

My sister used to take all my space toys and monsters and play school tours with them.

But, more relevant, one of my favourite games is Nights but I never played it for scores. I spent most of my play throughs trying to breed different Pians, change their activities and get different music mixes.

Comment

I used to play F-Zero by racing the course backwards, trying to crash into as many of the other racers as possible. I was trying to make up for the lack of a 2p mode

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                I used to play F-Zero by racing the course backwards, trying to crash into as many of the other racers as possible. I was trying to make up for the lack of a 2p mode
                You should try Daytona USA online and join in with everyone else doing that.

Originally posted by MCE
                Back in the day a a friend of mine invented a game within the facility on Goldeneye where the goal was for one team (ie. 2 players) to protect the armour behind the door at the end of the corridor while the other team had to try and collect it (after killing the other players, of course).

To be honest I found playing by the game's rules more fun so it doesn't quite fit the thread but it was something that came to mind.
                We must have had hundreds of game variants for both GE and especially PD.

Comment

I was once playing the Tomb Raider where the mansion is set up to show you the controls.

The butler shuffled around after you wherever you went, so I lead him into the kitchen and then the walk-in fridge and locked him in.

I then went into the entrance hall and swan-dived off the balcony, which killed Lara.

Finally, I sat back and imagined the confused police turning up and trying to piece the puzzle together:
                  "I don't get it, she was young, pretty and wealthy. Why would she kill her butler then herself? Such a waste..."

Comment

I do worry about you QC.

Comment

Not a personal story here, but I have a friend who keeps some strange company (for strange read chemically altered minds most of the time). My friend had the Sims on his PC and his friend used to come over and tell him to play it while he sat on the floor cross legged and made up background stories for all the Sims, telling tales of affairs, child abuse and domestic violence. I understand many a night was passed in this fashion!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        I was once playing the Tomb Raider where the mansion is set up to show you the controls.

The butler shuffled around after you wherever you went, so I lead him into the kitchen and then the walk-in fridge and locked him in.

I then went into the entrance hall and swan-dived off the balcony, which killed Lara.

Finally, I sat back and imagined the confused police turning up and trying to piece the puzzle together:
                        "I don't get it, she was young, pretty and wealthy. Why would she kill her butler then herself? Such a waste..."
                        Lmao. Brilliant.

First need for speed game on 3do. My mate and I would make up back stories for all the other cars on the road. I would run off the road a camper van containing a family out on a picnic. My mate would do the voices of the outraged father and fretful mother as I repeatedly rammed into their van and tried to tip it over and off the road.

Same friend once turned my amazing, Alton Towers Beating, theme park in the game "Theme Park" into Toilet World while I was making us a sandwich. All my rides were gone and all that was left was a stall selling over-salty chips (to make people thirsty) and lemonade and about 100 toilets.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                          Same friend once turned my amazing, Alton Towers Beating, theme park in the game "Theme Park" into Toilet World while I was making us a sandwich. All my rides were gone and all that was left was a stall selling over-salty chips (to make people thirsty) and lemonade and about 100 toilets.
                          I'm at work and just had to try and suppress my laughs at that story. I keep failing...

I spent a silly amount of time in freeroam GTAIV messing about with the swing launcher glitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            My sister used to take all my space toys and monsters and play school tours with them.
                            My brother once removed all the heads and hands from my legomen, stuck the heads on generic 4x2 bricks and pretended they were "ducks" trying to eat the hands, which were "duck food". He was about 4 at the time and I wouldn't have minded, but he never put them back and then later the maid vacuumed the carpet. For the next few years all our legomen were headless and handless.

Oh, we were talking about videogames...

Pilotwings 64 was best for this. The better launch game for the N64 I argue.

I once did a cross-country tour of the United States, driving by road using the gyrocopter. I even stopped for petrol at that stations somewhere.

I also tried landing on a whale's head, and landing on the ferries in the glider. Also did a lot of barnstorming using various aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                              My brother once removed all the heads and hands from my legomen, stuck the heads on generic 4x2 bricks and pretended they were "ducks" trying to eat the hands, which were "duck food". He was about 4 at the time and I wouldn't have minded, but he never put them back and then later the maid vacuumed the carpet. For the next few years all our legomen were headless and handless.

Oh, we were talking about videogames...

Pilotwings 64 was best for this. The better launch game for the N64 I argue.

I once did a cross-country tour of the United States, driving by road using the gyrocopter. I even stopped for petrol at that stations somewhere.

I also tried landing on a whale's head, and landing on the ferries in the glider. Also did a lot of barnstorming using various aircraft.
                              Blimey! You could probably write a 14-page article on how you try to break games!

If you're not blowing up indestructible tramps in Deus Ex, you're teleporting into vaults in Morrowind.
                              Talking about Deus Ex - when you blew up the tramps, your back was turned. Maybe the tramp's twin brother decloaked and took the other tramp's place whilst you weren't looking? Maybe a mage teleported in and took all the explosives and then took them to his house? Eh, eh?!

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                              the maid vacuumed the carpet.

Comment

Working...
                              X