No announcement yet.

Ignoring the way a game is supposed to be played

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Faction has to be a classic for this, blow yourself tunnels with the missile launcher and explosives to join parts of the map that weren't meant too.

I recall a demo on the original Playstation of Hardcore 4x4 (?!) where you could go off course over some mountains and just keep driving until the game broke. Spent more time messing around with that than playing a lot of full games!

Comment

In Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow (which is The Best Multiplayer Game Ever Crafted by Human Hands) people decided that instead of the default objective mode they just wanted to play deathmatch. Since there was no deathmatch option, when you got into a game people would bang on and on about how it is a deathmatch game and then kick you if you played the game normally.

I hope all of these people find each other's company pleasant IN HELL.

Comment

Well I thonk you can guess what I'm gonna mention .

When Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1st came out on the PSone it was addictive, & me & my bro played it to death. Then we figured that there were a lot of tricks missing in the game & found ways to pull those tricks even tho they wouldnt register as the real trick: lipslides would come up as boardslides, bluntslides would come up as tailslides, etc etc, but it added an extra element to the game that got our brains moving & gave us personal challenges to look for. Then THPS2 added said tricks..........but at least we were already doing them so it was a piece of piss!!

Comment

I wonder if trying to break games or playing them in different ways ever lead to new games being created?

Like the creators of Narbacular Drop working out that teleportation windows makes for a great puzzle game concept. The whole team then got hired by Valve to make Portal...

Comment

Originally posted by EDDIE M0NS00N View Post
            Well I thonk you can guess what I'm gonna mention .

When Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1st came out on the PSone it was addictive, & me & my bro played it to death. Then we figured that there were a lot of tricks missing in the game & found ways to pull those tricks even tho they wouldnt register as the real trick: lipslides would come up as boardslides, bluntslides would come up as tailslides, etc etc, but it added an extra element to the game that got our brains moving & gave us personal challenges to look for. Then THPS2 added said tricks..........but at least we were already doing them so it was a piece of piss!!
            I remember in the 3rd game there were set challenges that you had to do in order to finish the level 100%. I got a little bit addicted to seeing how quickly I could do ALL the challenges in one run. So sad looking back on it lol.

There were the times before I used the interwebs where I would find shortcuts in racing games by abusing speed boosts and cutting chunks out the track (Wip3out) as well as seeing how many racers I could kill in a race.
            Also spent a stupid amount of time in the 1st Gran Turismo where if you tuned a certain Suzuki so much it would do wheelies. Oh and the first TOCA Touring cars game - unlock the tank - cause mayhem.

I remember playing Lemmings and deliberately getting the little fellas into specific patterns to then suicide them all and watch the bodies explode in a synchronised pattern.

Comment

Nintendo World Cup on the original Game Boy.

You could powerslide into the opposition (see bottom-right) and after a number of tackles they'd be immobilised without any red cards from the ref.

I used to see how quickly I could immobilize the opposition and see how many goals I could score by repeatedly running past the helpless players.

A similar tactic to Milwall, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                Your knowledge of me and my posts, QC, is frightening.

Anyway, what's odd about having a maid? Everyone in South Africa had one in the early 1990s.

Comment

The chimp knows all, sees all.

Comment

Used to play a battlefield style game on the pc (cant for the life of me remember what it was called) but it had motorbikes in it that had crazy physics so you could do massive jumps and just genrally mess about with the map. i remember one map that had a massive cliff above one of the capture points, you could drive off and open your parachute at the last minute watching your bike come crashing down right in the middle of the base, i must of spent more time on the bikes trying out crazy stunts than actually playing the game. It was also one of the first game that let you strap explosives to stuff so you really could create some fantastic two wheeled bombs.
                    Last edited by Lebowski; 20-12-2011, 17:20.

Comment

[MENTION=2415]Sketcz[/MENTION]' trampsploding exploits reminded of this hilarious thread.
                      I just splurted my tea out for a second time at [MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION]'s Toilet World story.

Any new game breaking shenanigans to report?

I played Dark Souls last year and I was so incensed at my treatment in the banqueting hall, that after killing the zombie guys, the butcher and the dogs, I'd go back and smash up the furniture. Every time.
                      I like the idea of them going back for some grub after a hard day's hero killing only to find the chef missing and nowhere to sit down other than the hard floor. Mwah ha haaaa.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        Nintendo World Cup on the original Game Boy.
                        You could powerslide into the opposition (see bottom-right) and after a number of tackles they'd be immobilised without any red cards from the ref.
                        You can also do that to the goalie. He'll never get incapacitated but you'll score 100% of the time. I remember ending a match 53-0.

Comment

My cousins and I were playing Streets of Rage and someone would always hit someone else "by accident" and we'd start arguing so my dad started telling us to ignore the flashing GO! sign and just have at it. Loser had to give the pad to someone else who would carry on playing the game regularly with the winner. Rinse and repeat if it happened again.

However, player-player damage was a lot less than player-CPU damage so these battles would take yonks to finish!

Then, SoR2 came out with its battle mode which did the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            My sister used to take all my space toys and monsters and play school tours with them.
                            My sister used to invite Trap Jaw and Beast Man round to her Sylvanian Families tree house for tea. Suffice to say, it always ended up like a scene from Lindisfarne.

Comment

Fouls are great! My and my big bro used to play 'fouling football' on any footy game that let us disable red cards. The loser was obviously whoever lost the most players due to injuries

Comment

Working...
                              X