This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
    All the drm crap could be avoided if there was a common sense fee paid back to the developers and publishers on used titles, say 35% of the used sale split between dev and pub. Unfortunately this would require cooperation and common sense, something seemingly most people lack these days, especially where money is concerned.
    The problem is the retail culture. In general, I don't necessarily think that publishers and developers should get paid twice for the same product (not because I'm unsympathetic to the developers, but because this wouldn't happen in any other industry and I don't see why gaming should be the exception). But the way that high street retailers actively cannibalise the sales of new games in order to receive higher profit margins themselves is extremely short sighted. In today's shift towards digital, retailers need publishers and developers more than the latter need retailers. The current business model for gaming retailers is self-destruction because publishers will drop them as soon as it becomes feasible, and nobody will be crying many tears.

But I can't possibly agree with activation codes for preowned games etc., because this fringes on the rights of the end user who has the right to expect that their purchase will work without being at the whim of the publisher. But the retail culture has to change if they want to continue to be relevant.

Comment

Well said that man ^^^^^^

Comment

Yep, agree with all that. Thing is, minimising damage done seems to have become more important than offering the best to the end user. And this isn't unique to games - it's pretty much across everything that has gone digital. The old models have broken down (business people would say disrupted, using a very negative word as if it's positive) and they're kind of buggered. Not like people aren't making money - some are making tons of money but it seems to be a much less stable all-or-nothing kind of thing.

I think retailers will very soon be removed from the equation altogether.

Comment

I think you're right. Trading in Xbone games might just be too much hassle for some. I can imagine parents being asked to trade a game in by their kids and simply giving up when they realise it's not as simple as it once was.

This whole thing is designed to remove retail without literally killing it immediately. They're doing it in a way that says hey we still care about you guys. At least until everyone has broadband.

Just had a thought. This could revive the magazine industry. Official xbox magazine comes with all new releases on the cover disc(s) every month and you just buy the ones you want.

Comment

I only want to see the magazine industry revived if we get the Sega Saturn magazine back.

Comment

I still have the Panzer Dragoon Saga issue and disk

Why i never got the full game i dont know, one of my biggest gaming regrets.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                Or you just wait 2 to 3 months for the game to be listed on hotdeals uk and get it on the cheap see !.
                It's still full price based on the length of time it was released.

In that 2-3 months I could have picked it up used for much less.

So you're still paying the current RRP.

See.

Comment

Thats quite a good point about magazines. You could have timed licences of games that you get from a magazine. It could give you 12 hours access to the full game, for example.

Comment

Working...
                  X