X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deleted

Comment

Video!

(Disclosure: this is the one I'm working on)

Comment

Love hearing Peter talk. Brave of him to admit that voice recognition is pointless because a) people won't talk to a tv and b) it simply doesn't work.

I would actually like to play this. I love the idea of playing without a controller but not by replacing conventional controls with motion ones. I think you need to throw preconceived notions away and it sounds like that's what's happening here. Leaning to move around sounds nice and simple, and relaxing.

Comment

Fable's creators have called on gamers to give Kinect exclusive Fable: The Journey a chance. Dene and Simon Carter foun…

The creators of Fable discuss Journeys criticism and reveal the box art

Comment

Wrong thread!
            Last edited by Wools; 28-05-2012, 15:14.

Comment

Haha - love it :-)

- You tease Wools!
              ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

I'll tease you some more Adam, not that you need it!

Fable: The Journey ? It Just Works

During a visit to Lionhead HQ to go hands-on with Fable: The Journey, three key team-members repeatedly drop the C-bomb. Yes, it seems that if there?s a take-home message that the Guildford-based studio would like to convey it?s that Fable: The Journey is "cool". However, it?s probably best if we dispense with such an intangible adjective and instead focus on an entirely more relevant fact: this Kinect-only jaunt through Albion actually works

Comment

A nice write up & Video from Stephen Totilo at Kotaku:

There are 19 million Kinects in the wild and very few good games to play on them. I think most people will say that Dance Central is the best (partially because it seems to work more than 75% of the time). What's second best?

It could be this holiday season's Fable: The Journey.

Keep an open mind and give it a look.

Comment

Anyone played the demo?

So, I dusted off the Kinect and started re-arranging my furniture, ah yes, now I remember Kinect!

To start, the demo has a nice little tutorial at the beginning in order to get you accustomed to the "controls" it seems to do a pretty good job and is a good introduction. You basically sit on your arse and gesture at the screen in order to throw magic and kill on screen enemies. I think at this point I remember my 42" plasma is only just big enough for the sort of distance Kinect requires you to sit back from the screen.

The game appears to be on rails from the demo sections I played, although I understand that the "driving" sections are not? I didn't see any of these sections in this demo though, so cannot comment. So, a bit of story, move on, kill some enemies, story, move on, kill etc. Not always a bad thing as long as it is fun! At the end of the demo there is a ...yes, you guessed it, a "boss" which has to be said, looks pretty cool. fight it by throwing spells at it, dodge behind cover to avoid it's varied attacks, kill spawns of enemies, finish it off with one of your unique moves. ...etc.

Damn, to be honest, writing this now, this almost feels it could have been a light gun game, but I suppose some of the game mechanics could not been done without Kinect, so maybe not :P

It is possible to lean left and right to avoid incoming attacks and even block by putting your arm in front of your body. Normal magic attacks can be charged up by either waving your arm or actually saying "fireball", but I found the voice commands too slow to respond at times. There is also a magic spear attack you gain later on, by moving your arm as if throwing a javelin you are able to throw it! I found it very hard to get it to go where I wanted it to....maybe it is my Kinect setup. Has anyone else had this problem with the spear attack?

As I said above Kinect has some trouble with recognising where on screen you are firing your magic (surprise surprise), although you can add "after touch" which does make it more bearable. This allows you to fire some magic out then gesture with your hand to "knock" the said magic in the direction of the enemy, a nice little touch I thought. This is a mechanic used to reach enemies that are otherwise impossible to hit with a straight line hit, for example, hiding behind cover etc.

Another nice little feature is some enemies cannot be harmed without ripping their shields off. To do this you need to use your left arm to gesture at the screen and pull their armour off then finish them off with your regular attack. This move can also be used to push enemies back as well.

I have to say it does look nice and sounds amazing, definitely one of the higher production value games I have seen on Kinect to date (not hard) I found however, like with most Kinect games, you have to play at a certain pace, not your own, so I couldn't go as fast as I wanted to. Kinect just cannot keep up with fast game play. I think they make a subtle excuse for this by saying the spells have to charge up :P
                    I honestly think this game could have been awesome fun, firing fireballs out left right and center, dodging and blocking attacks. I really want to like it but the recognition issues would just make it frustrating as it gets harder later on, especially if there are hard boss battles.

I will spend a bit of time later to see if it was my setup that was at fault regarding the dodgy tragetting of my spells :P

Comment

Giantbomb 3 / 5

IGN - 7.2 / 10

Official Xbox 360 Magazine - 8 / 10

In light of the occasional technical problems, The Journey gets by largely on its charm, which is in abundance. There's mirth and melancholy in equal measure over the course of the storyline, which isn't especially original but is rendered effectively nonetheless. As cheeky and lighthearted as Fable is (and this installment is no exception), it says something about the game's talent for melodrama that you end up genuinely feeling sorry for certain characters on several occasions when bad things happen to them, and the game culminates in a moment that will likely be among the most poignant seen in a game this year. The whole thing is just so gosh darn British, too, which I imagine is less of a selling point if you are British. That pervasive sprinkling of refined, humorous nonsense makes The Journey feel a little more like one worth taking, even when some of its nuts and bolts are less appealing.

Comment

Working...
                      X