No announcement yet.

Playstation 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this time MS will make some half hearted attempt to further the 360 as a budget family console but it'll end up dying off pretty quickly afterwards. Their approach seems to rest heavily on Kinect which isn't supported enough to be sustainable long term, they'll probably switch tact soon after and focus soley on XB3. Depending on what they do it could prove pivotal for the success of the PS4, over the last 2 years Microsoft seems to be increasingly becoming vague and muddled as to which direction it wants to go in. If that continues, a clear message to the core audience could carry solid weight for Sony as MS gets lost between markets.

Comment

I do wonder what is going on with Kinect, it's been a crazy success, but MS have been eerily quiet in the last few months when it comes down to games.

I'm pretty sure that Kinect is going 1 of 2 ways.
      A whole deluge of software that is about to come out for it and will be shown at e3
      and/or
      The next console having it built in by default/backwards compatible with the current hardware, and thanks to the groundwork they've done at the tail end of this gen, much better support.

Comment

I can't see Kinect being built into the system until they iron out the kinks of the hardware. For next gen I expect there'll be an enhanced version but it will be a seperate device (maybe a pack in) which still isn't a defaultly used feature. I expect Sony will follow the usual pattern of not including anything like dedicated motion controllers or camera's with the PS4 and sell them later tied in with key related games as an optional.

Comment

I don't think there are any hardware issues as such, most of what it does is down to the software driving it. There are certain hardware limitations that are more to do with the 360 itself than the actual sensor. For example the 360's USB 2.0 only allows for part of the resolution that the sensor's hardware is capable of capturing.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
            Caf? is the codename for Ninty's next home console

Nice one Evil B, Im not always up to date, kinda my fault for not being as active on here as I used to be...

Comment

The main issue with Kinect is the space requirements. To be built into the system the Xbox would have to be set up in awkward locations which are impractical, MS would need to heavily improve the hardware to give accurate tracking up close and the games either be playable from a small bedroom set up or limit the play requirements. Better to keep it as a seperate optional unit.

Comment

Do people not seriously consider that Kinect has been made with the next console in mind? It's a USB device all the new Xbox needs is a faster usb and possible some giggery pokery with a dedicated kinect processor in the console, there we have it
                The sheer mention of a ps4 has taken me by surprise though, thought it was a blu ray pushing console that has still not reached full potential at least from a 3rd party standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                  To be built into the system the Xbox would have to be set up in awkward locations which are impractical,
                  I didn't mean physically built into the front of the machine!

Comment

The issue with Kinect on the 360 wasn't because it used USB 2.0, it's because the 360's USB controller shares the bandwith across all of the ports, so they had to drop the resolution to allow for people using USB Wifi, gamepads etc. That's why you can use the full resolution on the PC via USB 2.0.

Comment

ah well that makes even more sense that they could use it to more effect on another machine

Comment

Am I the only one satisfied with the current gen and content for it to run forever?

Comment

Wouldn't think so, there is more than enough 2011 content to last me this year AND next year at this rate.
                          Don't know why publishers and some devs are pushing the hardware spec rather than pushing their own boundries on new types of games, rather than the yearly successful games.

Comment

I'd be very surprised if any publisher really desires a new console generation right now. They seem to be finding it hard enough to balance the books this generation as it is.

Comment

Re: Kinect, lol, it'll be my tired Friday brain getting things muddled up. Maybe it was too attracted to the image of a console that resembles R2D2's head

Epic, Ubisoft and a few others have stated a desire to see the next-gen arrive but I imagine it has more to do with forcing smaller publishers out the market due to costs

I'm intrigued by the controller. No doubt Dual Shock 4 will resemble the others but I still hope for a relocated left stick, reshaped prongs and a new Dpad

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post

I'm intrigued by the controller. No doubt Dual Shock 4 will resemble the others but I still hope for a relocated left stick, reshaped prongs and a new Dpad
                                Relocated to where? Surely not in the same position as the nasty 360 left stick!?

Comment

Working...
                                X