Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server and Performance (now with NimbusHosting from post #129 onwards)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unfortunately not

Comment

Oops sorry. My fault.

Comment

C'mon, Charles. We can't have downtime on Transfer Deadline Day!

Comment

I'm trying an upgrade to Sphinx Search over the coming days. Meanwhile search is off. Sorry.
          You could ahem... use this in the meantime: http://www.google.co.uk/sitesearch/

Comment

I know I'm not adding anything by saying this but the lack of seach (New Posts) is virtually the end of the forums for me. I've tried umpteen times over the past few weeks to read the forum. There is no way I'm going to click on every subforum to find the new stuff.

The move to the new software has failed, I thought this was the saviour of the forum, not the headstone.

Disappointed and a bit sad.

Comment

I can't say I've ever used the new posts button, but I feel your pain. I've been since we moved.

It's not the move to the new software (there are plenty of people using it with far larger boards successfully), but the choice of server which is not providing the performance advertised. It's supposed to handle 600 vb users online at once no problem, but the helpful people on vbulletin.com have narrowed it down to hard disc performance, which on a VPS means it's spread too thin between different servers. The CPU activity is virtually zero all the time, so it's not that - the cpu is just waiting around for the hdd to catch up.

I'm in talks with another host.
              Last edited by charlesr; 03-09-2011, 15:10.

Comment

Potential new host disc performance:
                Results: 263 seeks/second, 3.79 ms random access time

Current host disc performance:
                Results: 107 seeks/second, 9.34 ms random access time

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
                  I know I'm not adding anything by saying this but the lack of seach (New Posts) is virtually the end of the forums for me..
                  Totally agree. I appreciate this is being worked on though so hope a solution is forthcoming.

Anthony

Comment

We are now on a new host. Please mention any issues or performance improvements.
                    I'll keep an eye on things for a bit and then look at returning search.
                    Sorry for the downtime all.

Comment

does that mean we can have search back yet?

Comment

I'll look at that tomorrow dude.

Comment

Ah cool look forward to it, Site seems to be running great as far as i can tell, no screwed up anything so far

Comment

Search is enabled. The host has kindly returned it back from innoDB type (1.5GB) to myisam (59MB). vbulletin "upgraded" it during the switch to vb4. Fingers and toes crossed!

Comment

I just searched the ass out of the boards. Did I break anything? The search seemed much faster than searches have been in a while. Not instant of course but still very fast. That's a good sign, right?

Comment

That's good. Many thanks. Server barely noticed.

Searches are still limited to every 30s. Is that limiter working correctly?

Comment

Working...
                                X