User Tag List

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks for that, I feel a tad more confident about where I should be going with this now!

Reading around on the net, I bumped into this book. This seems to be the bottom rung beginners book, assuming I have practically no knowledge at all - which would be true. As I mentioned before, I'm really not a fan of the '...for Beginners' series, mainly because of the overly-jokey way that everything is presented, but content-wise this looks like a good place to start before moving onto some of the other recommendations in this thread.

Hey Jake,

I used to teach C++. I chose this as the course book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/C-Program-Ha.../dp/0130895717

It seemed to go down pretty well. It's several versions on from the second edition that we used but I'm guessing it must still be largely the same.

Learning C++ is going to be slower than any of the other modern languages, but like Monkey says, once you know C++ every other language is a piece of cake. You can do awesome stuff in C++ that you can't do in anything else. If you want to learn about what goes on under the hood then C/C++ is a good choice.

I would say it depends what you want to make... I think a lot of big games are written in C++, a lot of small web games are written in Java, a lot of commercial apps are written in C++ or C#. A lot of websites are written in php or asp.net (mvc is cool). A lot of webservices are written in wcf. It's horses for courses

I make a decent living out of C# and I think its amazing how easy it is to get into it with a few pointers now that I've been doing it a while (I'm a senior/lead web developer in a small company making big asp.net mvc sites and small content delivery sites)

If you want to try C#, download Visual Studio 2010 Express (free and awesome!), then click File>New Project...> Console Application

google "hello world c#" or "intro to c#" or some examples

Then find something to code that you'll enjoy!

I wouldn't recommend C/C++ as learning languages really. They are really really hard to get to grips with and require advanced concepts for basic data types.

Lots of people get sniffy with learning Java (which is one of the best learning languages of OO) because it allows bad practices in coding.

Yes it's important to learn algorithms and data structures but that's no good if you're banging your head against the desk at 1:00am trying to fix a null pointer exception.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. however, it was my understanding that the OP wanted to learn all the nitty gritty so to speak. Short of learning assembly language I think C++ is a good place to start for him as he gets to learn what goes on in the guts of the computer but is also able to use modern programming techniques such as inheritance, polymorphism and generics.

You're right though, C++ is tough to learn and there are many many gotchas that can take an age to debug if you're a novice.

If you want to actually produce a proper application that does something useful then Java is a far better choice, plus of course it'll run on anything more or less.

Thanks for the replies guys, lots of different viewpoints which is definately helpful!

I've decided to stick with C++ in spite of how hard it apparently it. If I was actually doing this primarily to build some applications, I'd probably choose an simpler place to start like Java, but since that's not really my aim here, I'm just gonna take my time and try and get my head about C++.

I grabbed the 'Beginning Programming C++ for Dummies' book I mentioned earlier, which seems to primarily use Code::Blocks for everything (which is handy, being a free open source application). Been doing a chapter a night for the last few nights and am progressing nicely. There's plenty of resources in this thread once I 'graduate' from that book, so cheers again!

TBH I'd not mess around. If you want to do anything serious, learn C++. I prefered C myself, OOP just wasn't my thing, but it's what I'd recommend. If you just want to mess around and have fun, then Java. Or even Visual Basic, lol. I do like VB, all joking aside, wonderful to get something up and running so quickly

Perhaps someone here can point out some good environment tools for c++? Is Visual Studio still the weapon of choice? I might even try to pick up some myself

For Windows, Visual,Studio is fine yeah. Express 2010 is free too. The compiler is much more standards compliant too these days.

Does anyone want to learn to program?

Sometime after uni ends for the year, around late May, I'm going to find myself with some free time. I figure I'll learn some C#, as much as I can before uni starts up again. Learning to program is something I always tell myself I want to do, but then never get around to.

Realistically, I'll spend four months playing Xbox LIVE Indie Games.

But then that's where you come in. I figure that if a few of us want to learn C# together, we can get a little section of the forum set up for it, and we can all help each other through it when we get stuck. Then the experienced programmers on the forum can come in and laugh at how inept we all are but also offer advice and help so they feel less guilty about how much they laughed at us.

Learning together would be the motivation that I and others need to actually get into it properly. So yeah, we all grab the same book or something, and work through it together at the same time. Anyone up for that?

Serious applicants only.