• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vote for CGI *if* Cage plays Murphy.

Otherwise, it's not allowed.

PS: Schwarzenegger as Dick Jones.

Comment

Hilarious though it would be, no way would Cage make a good Robocop. Chris Pine is about as famous an actor as I'd like to see in the role, preferably someone lesser known who perfectly fits the bill... and it has to include the line 'I'd buy that for a dollar'

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        Cage winds me up.

He shouts in ALL OF HIS FIIIIILMS!

This is the greatest video ever. The best bit is when he exclaims the F word and a guy is wearing a t shirt with it written on.

Comment

I agree, that's an awesome video. I love the title to it too.

Comment

With Jose Padilha (“Elite Squad”) now in charge of helping the reboot of “Robocop”, many have been wondering what his new take on the material will be like. More specifically, will he be including the level of social satire that Paul Verhoeven so memorably brought to his ultraviolent original? Sadly it doesn’t seem that way, […]

Political intrigue in, satire out

Comment

Was Robocop ever intentionaly that satiracal in the first place? I watched it the other day and theres a bit of satire in the news broadcasts and Tv ads, but unlike Starship troopers Im not actualy sure if Vernhoven was trying to poke fun at anythong or if the dailogue was just really cheesy. I love the film but i would hardly call it a satire.

Comment

Are you serious? Of course its satirical, Starship Troopers took it too far IMO, Robocop got the tone just right.

Comment

ha ha at that Nic Cage video.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                    Are you serious? Of course its satirical, Starship Troopers took it too far IMO, Robocop got the tone just right.
                    Well like I said the only Satire is really in the video broadcasts, and I still dont think it feeels completely intentional. Where as Starship Troopers deffinitley did do it intentionaly, redgardless of if you think it took it too far or not (and if you think it did thats probabaly becuase unlike robocop it was actualy trying to be satrical, so its far less subtle).

Plus the videos in Robocop only take up about 5 minutes of the film anyway, in fact about 80 of the 95 minutes it is on for are taken up by pure violence, so it hardly has time to be a satire anyway . Its paced like a rocket and is pretty much non stop action all the way through.
                    Last edited by rmoxon; 23-09-2011, 12:21.

Comment

The enduring image for me from my first viewing was the early scene when Murphy has his various limbs blown off by gun fire...well, I was only 7yrs old

Comment

@rmoxon, I think you need to see the news broadcast footage again mate and refresh your memory. Plenty of digs at western media in general. Most of it is subtle. Starship Troopers made their point in an upfront and not subtle way at all. Like when the kids are stepping on the bugs and that teacher is laughing manically. complete crap.

The following nicked from Wiki cos Im lazy:

Verhoeven stated in the 2007 anniversary edition DVD that he had wanted the violence to be 'over the top', in an almost comical fashion (the executive that is killed by ED-209, for example, and the line about calling a paramedic soon after his demise, was meant as black comedy). Verhoeven also states that the tone of the violence was changed to a more upsetting tone due to the deletions requested by the MPAA, and that the deletions also remove footage of the extensive animatronic puppet of Murphy just before he is executed by Boddicker.

Basically he knew what he was doing from the start . . .

On Rotten Tomatoes, it holds an 88% "Certified Fresh" rating from critics, with the following consensus: "While over-the-top and gory, RoboCop is also a surprisingly smart sci-fi flick that uses ultraviolence to disguise its satire of American culture"

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                          @rmoxon, I think you need to see the news broadcast footage again mate and refresh your memory. Plenty of digs at western media in general. Most of it is subtle. Starship Troopers made their point in an upfront and not subtle way at all. Like when the kids are stepping on the bugs and that teacher is laughing manically. complete crap.

The following nicked from Wiki cos Im lazy:

Verhoeven stated in the 2007 anniversary edition DVD that he had wanted the violence to be 'over the top', in an almost comical fashion (the executive that is killed by ED-209, for example, and the line about calling a paramedic soon after his demise, was meant as black comedy). Verhoeven also states that the tone of the violence was changed to a more upsetting tone due to the deletions requested by the MPAA, and that the deletions also remove footage of the extensive animatronic puppet of Murphy just before he is executed by Boddicker.

Basically he knew what he was doing from the start . . .

On Rotten Tomatoes, it holds an 88% "Certified Fresh" rating from critics, with the following consensus: "While over-the-top and gory, RoboCop is also a surprisingly smart sci-fi flick that uses ultraviolence to disguise its satire of American culture"
                          I watched the film about a week ago, and I do own the dvd, I have listened to the comentary, I know what he says about the film.

I still stand by what I said though. I dont think it is intentionaly satiracal particuarly. As I said an amazing amount of the film is nothing but pure violence, there are few films like it actualy, the pace is immense. He deffinitey didnt want to make a deeply serious film, but its less about witt and more about excess really.

Still, its a brilliant film either way and one of the best action movies ever made.
                          Last edited by rmoxon; 23-09-2011, 21:11.

Comment

Of course some of it is intentional you have the whole SUX car ads which is a complete piss take of what the US car companies were churning out at the time. Showing text stating the appalling mpg and then a voice over saying an American tradition.

Comment

We must not forget the NUKEM game advert!

Comment

Originally posted by Fader209 View Post
                                We must not forget the NUKEM game advert!
                                That's it buster, no more military aid!

Comment

Working...
                                X