Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP)

Ahhhhh, finally.

Well now, what's it like? ...It's MH. New initiates will have a hell of a hard time getting into it but the old hands will be right in there.

Apart from the Kelbi there are no monsters from the previous PSP games so far, but a few lifted from MH3 - plus a whole bunch more.
    The indicator system from MH3 is also present, showing little icons when actions can be performed.

New stuff that is there from the start - you can take two cats with you to fight from the start; there is a cat next to base camp that can ship a whole bunch of items back to your box but only once per quest; special rewards can be gotten by importing your MHP2ndG and/or Pokapoka Mura save file.

My only gripe is from having played so much MH3 - I keep wanting to swing the camera around with the right hand analogue stick...and there isn't one on the PSP...

The Japanese-ish theme to the village is very nice. The re-using of MH3 locations with the swimming sections replaced is a little odd.

Loving it so far, it's MH after all.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

After being in the international hub limbo for the past few days, my Portable 3rd PSP and game has finally arrived. The new model of PSP is very slick. Though unlike the pun I was not trying to make, the casing is the exact opposite. It's made of matte grippy synthetic material. But the main reason for getting it was particulary for it's redesigned analog nub and slightly longer battery life.
    Well I can testify that the concave groove in the nub makes it a little better to get a hold of, and I'm quite suprised they haven't done this sooner. Whether this redesign will see the light of day over in the west is another thing as the PSP is pretty being switched off life support over here.

Here's a video tutorial for the import Monster Hunter virgins:

There are seven parts in total and amounts to a little over an hour or so, but definitely a good watch.

Also for reference the Minegarde forums, as well as this other Portable 3rd wikia, which is still very much work in progress.

Lastly, here's another Monster Hunter Portable 3rd Wiki site

Comment

Well I just beat Jinouga

and got the staff credits? Interesting...

and will be doing guild quests so I can get better equipment before moving up to harder Village Leader quests. I'm about 26 hours in right now.

Comment

It took 5 hours more (or thereabouts) for me to get to the credits. I had a little trouble with Jinouga at the start, low rank that is. I'm averaging 8-10 minutes for him, now that I've made a Yakumo Long Sword using the red tickets as a gift for the urgent, which has a nice decent green sharpness to it.
        There's quite a few re-jigged characteristics of the Tri monsters which caught me off by suprise.

You got Adhoc Party Kryss?

Comment

I'm still surprised I beat Jinouga with a long sword (Wind Eater) considering how much he moves about. The Yukumo Lance was my friend for the next couple of fights
          Been messing around with the Gunlance as well, not bad. Made some Switch Axes but haven't used them yet. Even more shocking - I haven't done any quests gunning yet either!!

No adhoc party sorry Jim, was thinking about a PS3 just for that alone but couldn't justify the cash.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
            Even more shocking - I haven't done any quests gunning yet either!!
            Holy cow.
            That's all I ever used to see you using on Tri.

There doesn't seem to be that much in the way of gun combinations this time, which is a shame. I used to love maining the lance in Tri, but I've not touched it this time. Though I'm going to have to make a low rank lancing set soon, as Nargacuga just hands my arse to me. Finding him worse than Barioth

Comment

Got myself set up on Xlink Kai now - kryss101010
              1300 MHP3rd players online! Seems no-one else uses the system, lol.

Comment

I've tried to get Xlink but the main site seems to be taking a hammering, so I can't download the thing. No doubt Portable 3rd has something to do with the excessive traffic.

Anyway, holy cow, Hunter Rank 4 Urgent where you're squaring off against a hyper Nargacuga. Jeez, how frustrating can it get. Eventually downed the sod after 44 minutes, and x 2 faints later. Eventually used the Gunlance to do him in in my low rank Barroth armour, which suprisingly has been given some sort of lancing status (where in Tri it wasn't)

I just turtled about 35 minutes of that match and just kept upstabbing the fool when it when for it's double lunge. Narga does insane damage.

Comment

Just beat the Villlage Leader's last Urgent - Jhen Mohran! Killed it in 12m26s, lol.
                  Ingot armour + Narga long sword = win. Now I'm going to kill it a few more times for the armour, long sword and lance.

Comment

Heh, tell me about it.
                    Even suprised when I defeated Jhen during the first phase >_<

But the main thing I miss from Tri, as I've gone back to gunning (apart the fact you can't customise bowguns) is that I'm missing the seperate pouches for blade masters and gunners. So you now have to keep on setting up your kit when you change from blade to gun and vice versa. Also you still only have three pages of inventory initially to fit all your bullet types, combine books and ammumition mixes.

A bit of an oversight there.

Comment

At least you get the temporary 4th pocket.

Comment

Aye, but a bit useless when trying to bring as much combo mixes beforehand!

Just finished the latest download quest, and it's great.
                        Essentially you fight Peace-Hapul!
                        Kinda like a reverse of the Phantom Uragaan quest, Hapul is inflated to Gojira-esque propotions (well, close enough) but the best parts of it is that during the whole hunt, the Peace Walker main theme plays as the battle music. Plus there's the classic Metal Gear Solid 'Alert' sound when Hapul detects you. Though make sure you bring the full quota of mega dash juice, as you'll be chasing that sucker from piller to post, and then some.

Finally got the chance to get my hands on the Metal Gear Peace Walker Armour. I've not made a Blade version (as I've heard it's got more slots) but the Gunner armour has only x5 slots which makes it hard to gem something decent into it.

The gunner skill-set is:
                        Load-Up
                        Precision +2
                        Trap Master
                        Raise Hunger

The Blademaster set is:
                        Constitution +2
                        Focus
                        Trap Master
                        Raise hunger

I can't wait for the Pirate-J armour quest when it eventually releases.

Comment

Haven't done many of the download quests, having gotten kind of bored of the game recently. A few weeks of ACE Portable and I'll be back to it no doubt.

Comment

aprt from kelbi no monsters from other psp games? WRONG
                            tigrex, nargacuga, popo, anteka, bulfango, bulldrome, felyne, melynx, aptonoth, rathian, gold rathian, rathalos, silver rathalos, diablos, black diablos.
                            well were do i start,
                            they are; first off; in MHP2NDG(MHFU) wich is for psp, all but nargacuga, are in MHP2ND(MHF2) gold/silver rath from MHG(MHF) mhf is monster hunter freedom, not frontier. sorry if i seem like a jerk, but it annoys me when people think they know but do not. and if any of you compare narga to barioth, NOOO. nargacuga came first, green narga and black tigrex are new but tigrex and narga are not, i would know sence i own MHG MHF2 MHP2ND MHFU MH tri, and MHP3RD.

Comment

At the point I was in the game when I wrote that (i.e. the day it arrived in 2010 - look at the date I posted that!) it was true. I know there are plenty of monsters from the previous games, there just aren't at the start.

Thank you for signing up just to say that.

Comment

Working...
                              X