Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blasphemy! (Covers that surpass the originals)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blasphemy! (Covers that surpass the originals)

This is going to be one of those threads. It could get ugly.

Every now and then, you hear a cover that you actually think is better than the original. If you know of any, then this is the place to share them. If you can, post a video of the cover and the original as a point of reference.

Try to elaborate on why as well, for the purpose of discussion.

I'll start with 3, some of which I know will arose the wrath of some.

Worm is Green's cover of 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' > Joy Division's original:

(Worm is green cover)

(Original)

For me, it's the icy, haunting sound of WIG's version that appeals. I actually think the atmosphere they convey suits the lyrics better.

Schneider TM's cover of 'There's a Light That Never Goes Out' (called 'The Light 3000') > The Smiths' original:

(Schneider TM cover)

(Original)

My preference for the cover is largely due to the fact that I dislike The Smiths and particularly Morissey, though this is not the only reason. I just like the sound of the cover a lot, lot more.

Ladytron's cover of 'Oops! Oh My' > Tweet's original:

(Ladytron cover)

(original)

The original is nice enough; back from when Timbaland actually worked with decent artists and made decent beats, but I just think Ladyton's faster paced synth punk reworking gives the song some much needed urgency. It also works great in my DJ sets.

OK, now it's your turn to blaspheme...

This is blasphemy. The first two alone are hanging offences.

For me:
    Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah
    Landslide - Smashing Pumpkins
    Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower

Comment

I quite like Morriseys That's Entertainment. Oh and that foul mouthed version of Going Underground.

Comment

As much as I love the Stones, I think Devo's version of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction is the superior version.

Comment

Goldfingers version of 99 Red Balloons. The Ataris version of 'Boys Of Summer'.

Comment

Muse - Feeling Good was voted the best cover ever by NME recently, I can't say I'd disagree with that, they've made the song their own.

Comment

I would. It's okay, but best cover ever? In 20 years time it won't even be in the top 100.

Comment

I prefer the Guns N' Roses version of Sympathy For The Devil, but that's probably mostly because I heard it before the Stones original.

This might be a potentially feather-ruffling choice, but I like Wheatus's take on A Little Respect much more than the Erasure version. It's just louder and a lot more rockin' for me.

Comment

I cant be arsed to post the links but Johnny Cashs version of Hurt pisses over the Nine Inch Nails original. Even Trent Reznor admitted it himself.

Comment

Surely Nivana's cover of the Man Who Sold the World has got to be one of the best covers ever? Nobody can beat the Smiths though.

Comment

Not really understanding how cover versions could be blasphemous in anyway and better doesn't really come into it but here are some covers that I prefer sometimes.

Tricky - Black Steel (Public Enemy)

Siouxsie & The Banshees - Dear Prudence (The Beatles)

Talking Heads - Take Me To The River (Al Green)

U2 - Pop Muzic (M)

It's really simple to find them with mainstream stuff like I've listed above but it get's far more complicated when moving into things like classical, jazz, blues, etc, when they've sometimes had centuries to be messed around with.

EDIT:
                      Nearly forgot about this one and it really is a favourite of mine.

Anarchy in The USA - Tito Larriva (The Sex Pistols)
                      Last edited by JP; 26-09-2010, 01:38.

Comment

Speaking of which, one of my old hobbies was to collect different versions of 'Blue Moon' on mp3 - at last count I had 104.

Although I'm not sure any of them really count as covers when you are talking about a standard like that, my favourite by far is a live instrumental version by Louis Armstrong and band.

Comment

FYC's version of Suspicious Minds...
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Prince's version of 'Betcha By Golly Wow'

Comment

Originally posted by Ady View Post
                              Worm is Green's cover of 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' > Joy Division's original:

(Worm is green cover)

(Original)

For me, it's the icy, haunting sound of WIG's version that appeals. I actually think the atmosphere they convey suits the lyrics better.
                              That's the best cover of that song I've heard. With Ian Curtis' vocals it would be the best version, but the singer doesn't carry the emotion of the song for me. Instrumentally it's great though.

Joy Division recorded quite a few songs with that slower icy feel, like 'I Remember Nothing' and 'From Safety to Where'. I don't subscribe to the notion that LWTUA is one of the greatest songs of all time, Joy Division themselves recorded at least a dozen better songs, and they only released two albums and a few singles.

Comment

Working...
                              X