User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Not really understanding how cover versions could be blasphemous in anyway and better doesn't really come into it but here are some covers that I prefer sometimes.

Tricky - Black Steel (Public Enemy)

Siouxsie & The Banshees - Dear Prudence (The Beatles)

Talking Heads - Take Me To The River (Al Green)

U2 - Pop Muzic (M)

It's really simple to find them with mainstream stuff like I've listed above but it get's far more complicated when moving into things like classical, jazz, blues, etc, when they've sometimes had centuries to be messed around with.

EDIT:
    Nearly forgot about this one and it really is a favourite of mine.

Anarchy in The USA - Tito Larriva (The Sex Pistols)
    Last edited by JP; 26-09-2010 at 02:38 AM.

Speaking of which, one of my old hobbies was to collect different versions of 'Blue Moon' on mp3 - at last count I had 104.

Although I'm not sure any of them really count as covers when you are talking about a standard like that, my favourite by far is a live instrumental version by Louis Armstrong and band.

FYC's version of Suspicious Minds...

Prince's version of 'Betcha By Golly Wow'

Quote Originally Posted by Ady View Post
    Worm is Green's cover of 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' > Joy Division's original:

(Worm is green cover)

(Original)

For me, it's the icy, haunting sound of WIG's version that appeals. I actually think the atmosphere they convey suits the lyrics better.
    That's the best cover of that song I've heard. With Ian Curtis' vocals it would be the best version, but the singer doesn't carry the emotion of the song for me. Instrumentally it's great though.

Joy Division recorded quite a few songs with that slower icy feel, like 'I Remember Nothing' and 'From Safety to Where'. I don't subscribe to the notion that LWTUA is one of the greatest songs of all time, Joy Division themselves recorded at least a dozen better songs, and they only released two albums and a few singles.

Metallica's version of Whiskey In The Jar:

Last edited by Senna; 26-09-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Parry
    Not really understanding how cover versions could be blasphemous in anyway and better doesn't really come into it but here are some covers that I prefer sometimes.
    Well the "blasphemy" part of the thread title was never meant to be taken that literally. It's just that some people get very upset at the suggestion that a cover of a given song can be better than the original. It was just a sarcastic reference to that. And "better" is a matter of opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brats
    Joy Division recorded quite a few songs with that slower icy feel, like 'I Remember Nothing' and 'From Safety to Where'.
    Indeed. 'The Eternal' is another good example.

Anyway, here's another cover that beats the original.

Make Up's cover of 'Hey Joe' destroys the original, IMO. It's more dynamic, energetic and, I daresay interesting:

That cover of There Is A Light just makes me desperately want to listen to the original. Never a good sign.

Loads of people consider Placebo's Running Up That Hill to be better than the original, and Gary Jules' Mad World to surpass the Tears For Fears version. I don't subscribe to that, but they are decent songs in their own right.

Likewise, I consider Pet Shop Boys' Always on My Mind to be bitchin, and sufficiently different from the excellent Elvis version to sound like an entirely different song. Although even the Elvis edition wasn't the original.

Soft Cell's Tainted Love was a cover too, so there's another possibility.
    Last edited by prinnysquad; 26-09-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ady View Post

Make Up's cover of 'Hey Joe' destroys the original, IMO. It's more dynamic, energetic and, I daresay interesting
    You call that energetic? Sounds like a second rate Chrissie Hynd or something. You should check out the version by The Leaves - now THAT is energetic!

(btw it's unknown who did the original, it's basically another standard like Blue Moon)
    Last edited by Darwock; 26-09-2010 at 10:15 AM.