N64 Time - Duke Nukem 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N64 Time - Duke Nukem 64

Well. Thanks mostly to people on this forum (and especially to the generosity of Importaku) I have FINALLY completed my collection of N64 Magazine, without a doubt the finest mag of the era (I also recently saw an auction for a complete set end at ?250, so not a bad investment either ).

My goal from the beginning was to get a complete set so that I could read through them in order, and try to recapture some of the excitement that the current generation is sorely lacking for me. The plan being that I would play the games in chronological order, as they are 'released' (the fun also being that I can still get the game earlier, if I buy the Jap version!) Which means I would be able to enjoy the anticipation of upcoming games, whilst also pacing me, giving me the opportunity to play the more obscure games and hidden gems. This is also appealing because I will get to play all the games I couldn't at the time because they were WAY more expensive than they are now, and also because I couldn't read Japanese.

Of course, this 'project' would take about 5 years if I were to read and play in real time, which I don't plan on doing. I'm thinking of possibly speeding time by double, so I will read 2 magazines a month, but probably adjusting slightly depending on how many games are released that I want to play, and how much spare time and money I have available.

Basically, if I can keep this up, I will update this thread as a kind of time warp First Play thread for the N64, so feel free to play along, or just comment on the games

First up of course is Mario 64, which, shamefully, I have never played before - but that's what this is all about!

Wish me luck
    Last edited by noobish hat; 05-01-2014, 12:48.

Wow thats awesome! Congrats on your achievement.

Comment

Is N64 the mag that had an exclusive bagged review of Ocarina. Only to review once you'd paid for it that the score would be next month? I never bought it again after that. The most cheapest trick ever.

Comment

Well as I recall, magazines weren't all in sealed bags back then, so you were free to browse it in the shop. Also, I think 'cheap trick' is a bit harsh, they just wanted to actually finish the game before scoring it.

Comment

It was sealed and it was a cheap trick
          I knowhow this works, I'm in the business
          Impressiv ecollection all the same though.

Comment

Congrats on finally getting the last few mags you needed, N64 was a great mag. One thing about mags nowdays is they rarely seem to cover imports. Sure they might give you the odd preview but actual import reviews seem to have died.

Comment

NGC and Cube used to do imports.. bit later on mind.

Comment

Sounds like a fantastic idea - I will be reading your updates with interest. Loved N64 magazine, although I didn't start reading it properly until mid '98. Strider - it was their enthusiasm for OOT that got me hooked to the mag and the 2 part review trick/scam/scamola only heightened my anticipation for the game. The months leading up to Zelda's release and the joy in then playing it generated a level of excitement for videogames that I will never experience again. Unbelievable times.

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
                First up of course is Mario 64, which, shamefully, I have never played before - but that's what this is all about!
                Have you played any of the more recent 3D Mario games? If so will be interesting to see how you compare them to 64 without nostalgia clouding your judgement.

Comment

I've played Mario Sunshine, but not Galaxy (although I'm very tempted to ask for a Wii for my brithday next month ). I did like Sunshine, but I never managed to get all the shines because some of the levels were just so hard! It did have some wonderful graphical effects, such as the water, and the giant mirrors at the beach, that left me a bit gobsmacked, something that rarely happens.

Comment

The N64 days was a funny time. I mean during that time Nintendo had seen their dominance erode, Sony was taking as the market leader and third parties including Square (!) were migrating over to the PS in droves. It's a good thing that Pokemon and the revival of the gameboy happened when it did for Nintendo.

Third party support sucked on the N64 but the first party stuff was pretty stellar. Mario 64 and Zelda Ocarina of time are landmarks in video gaming history.

So errr yeah...nice collection, noobish hat

Comment

! What were you up to when Mario 64 was out and everyone was being amazed by it? woah.

Comment

I didn't have an N64, I had a Playstation. My brother had an N64, so I did play a lot of the big games, or watch him play them, but his tastes are a bit different to mine, so I never played Mario 64. Now that I think of it, I've always had the other console, even though, retrospectively, Nintendo is always my favourite. Even now, I have a 360 I never use, but no Wii. I'm an idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                          NGC and Cube used to do imports.. bit later on mind.
                          I meant mostly mags nowdays, one of the reasons i love the superplay-n64-cube era as at least they reviewed imports. Nowdays mags seem to just be identical to each other all reviewing the same sandard mainstream games. Maybe the markets changed beyond recognition & it seems importing isn't as essential as it was once before but theres still a massive amount of games that never make it to here.

Comment

In the days of the snes and N64 importing was essential for full screen, full speed gameplay and the lovely Japanese artwork! The difference was like night and day

Comment

There are still a lot of DS and PSP games that are Jap only I think, more so than console games. NGamer reviews all the Japanese games though and so is still carrying on the tradition.

Comment

Working...
                              X