No announcement yet.

Split Second (360, PS3 & PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No - there is a set difficulty (easy, medium, hard). To be honest a lot of the time it's just perseverance that'll get you the wins. And practice. Most of the power plays are avoidable, and so long as you concentrate on keeping your bar built up with boost, and hang within sight of the leader (without actually taking the lead), and time your move to the front on the last lap you'll get there eventually, but there is a bit of luck involved.

One of the myths of the game is that the later cars make the earlier races vastly easier (and it's impossible to compete online without them). The top two cars, one built for speed the other for drifting seem on paper to be the best cars, but actually some of the mid-tier cars suit a lot of the events. The top tier racing car in particular is a twitchy beast, which while it has a speed advantage usually loses it by twitching out of control near a power play, or doesn't gain enough power play juice to compete through an entire race. In fact, one of my quick judgements of whether a reviewer actually played the game enough is to check whether they trot out the tired line that the top cars are vastly superior and you stand no chance without them, because it's not true.

One tip, in Air Strike or Detonator, if the car is capable, brake hard at the start and don't cross the line. Reverse, on Detonator until you see the Split Second loading screen, and then you'll be catapulted forward with a rolling start that can save about a second or two on some events. On Air Strike reverse slowly until the helicopter finds you, then accelerate and you'll get one free barrage of missiles avoided immediately at the start of the race.

DLC due for this on the 31st apparently.

Comment

Thanks for those tips, so far (Ep 9 now) Ive found Air Strikes to be the easiest of the lot and I usually do them in a couple of goes, but the Detonator races are a bitch so any time gains to be had are most welcome.

Comment

The Detonator on Ep10 is an absolute terror, and you can't do the brake on the start line thing either. Takes a fair few goes that one.

Another couple of tips, I forgot, is to try the Detonators in first person. (Press Y to switch views). It can make them easier if they rely on car placement through the corners, and some people, myself included think the physics model is ever so slightly relaxed when you're driving in car so there's less chance of losing the back end or being affected by Power Plays. This might all be psychosomatic though. Also, remember, unless you can avoid it try not to drift, and go wide and cut the apex without cutting the throttle to maintain speed. However, there are a couple of tracks (Ep 10 Detonator) where you do need to drift a couple of times to cut very sharp corners. And finally, the first Beat The Team challenge isn't impossible, check Youtube, as there's a shortcut you might not know about on the track in question which shaves seconds off your lap time.

Comment

I use in-car on pretty much every racer I play, I couldnt stand outside view for more than a few minutes

With regards to taking corners, I usually try to drift round them unless they are super tight, Ill try taking them wide to see if I have more luck. When drifting, do you double tap the accellerator, or tap brake to send yourself into a drift? I barely use brake, I find that when faced with a sharp bend its often quicker to drift and slam into a wall than carefully negotiate my way through it, not sure if you agree or not?

I know its been criticized here, but I quite like the handling model. If people wanted perfect physics and precise handling they should be playing Forza, this is just balls-out arcade thrills and a game that actually gets my heart pumping. Taking on a big corner, pulling the car into a massive drift, and coming perfectly out of it is whilst all hell is breaking loose around you is so satisfying. For me this game continues to be impressive and enjoyable.
          Last edited by marcus; 30-08-2010, 10:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
            Poll is up! This could get nasty.

FWIW I've given it a 2, for reasons I've outlined in this thread already. I played up to, er, the ninth series I think (of 12 is it?), put a good few hours into it until I could take no more and returned it to the shop
            why would you put so much time into a game, you clearly didnt enjoy?

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
              why would you put so much time into a game, you clearly didnt enjoy?
              A fair question

I wanted to like this game. On paper it sounds awesome. Even when it was annoying me, I wanted to get to the next level - I wanted to see the next big explosion. I like racing games with multiple routes, and I like how you open up whole new areas. And I like big explosions with lots of particles

I got the game on a Friday and returned on the Monday, if memory serves. I had a free weekend and so spent a few hours on Sunday afternoon playing, until I could take no more. I still want to see the final two or three maps, and if I see this game at ?5 I'll probably pick it up just for the spectacle.

Comment

Finished the last season, my opinion of the game has changed since the first day or so I spent with it, what was an initially impressive game has turned into one of the best arcade racers Ive played on the 360, possibly only eclipsed by Burnout Paradise (there are many similarities here), and Ridge. I figure Ive played most of them, although I havent yet played Blur. Im sorry not all of you enjoyed this as much as I did, there is some deserved love in this thread though and Id urge anyone put off by the sites review and comments in this thread to be open minded and give this horribly underrated gem a try.

Comment

1000 pointed it just now. I haven't felt compelled to do that do a game for a long time, in fact, I may even pick up the PS3 version and go for the Platinum as well, as I still don't feel I've had enough explosions + beating Americans online.

Comment

New DLC out this week.

Comment

Im going to do my best to get all golds on this, I am currently playing Blur but its not a patch on S/S for me, and Im itching to get back to it as soon as possible.

Comment

Has anyone downloaded the survival at the rock pack? How many new events are there?

Comment

Just stared playing this again as it's free with Games with Gold. Forgot how much fun this was. Really enjoying playing it again. Give me a shout if you fancy some multiplayer.

Comment

Working...
                          X