Proposal ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proposal ideas

Seems about time I asked the lady if she'd like to get hitched. I'm fairly confident of a positive reply (touch wood). In fact, this weekend she actually said "I'm ready to become herfirstname mysurname".

However, I'd like to ask it some way that would be memorable for her. Any suggestions.

She likes:
    Anything military related
    Booze
    Places, bars, restaurants with nice views

She hates:
    Anything cute, especially Disney-related stuff
    Anything geekey
    Being the centre of attention. So no dramatic gestures in front of a load of other people watching

Married posters, how did you propose? Did it go down well?

Do it on the London Eye You can hire a single booth just for you both..........

BTW if you go with a recomendation suggested on here you have to give away free games.........

Comment

Ah, sorry, forgot to mention. We're in Tokyo

Will keep the idea of a ferris wheel in mind, however - thanks

Comment

I just got engaged.

I did a three stage 'game' with clues. PM if you want details - it is too embarrasing to post here!

Other than that - I would think romantic weekend break would always be a winner, it will always include good bars, restaurants and big beds.

Comment

When I proposed to my missus I did it in Disneyworld Florida.

Middle of Main Street in front of Cinderellas Castle...about a gazillion people walking past.

She blubbed & I had my picture taken by more people in that 2 minutes then I've had taken in my whole life

Cheesy as **** but she loved it & it's always an awesome story to tell.

Incidently we get married in a little under 2 weeks now...come round SO quick.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
            When I proposed to my missus I did it in Disneyworld Florida.

Middle of Main Street in front of Cinderellas Castle...about a gazillion people walking past.

She blubbed & I had my picture taken by more people in that 2 minutes then I've had taken in my whole life

Cheesy as **** but she loved it & it's always an awesome story to tell.

Incidently we get married in a little under 2 weeks now...come round SO quick.

Neil
            Was it like this?:

The couple involved were actors, this was faked as an advert

Comment

Two years ago today I got married, hurrah!

I proposed to Mrs. QualityChimp at the top of the Empire State Building because she loves the film An Affair To Remember (not King Kong ).

You could propose to her at the top of the Tokyo Tower as that's got some spectacular views. It's nice having a landmark associated as you're regularly reminded of when you proposed.

Next time you see Godzilla trashing the Tokyo Tower, you can give each other a knowing smile!

Comment

It's not particularly an irk but the whole 'big gesture and make it an occasion' thing is well old.

If you have to ask for advice how/what to do you're going about it the wrong way already. It should be something between the two of you, the start of the planning and sharing your life together.

It's a blip, a minute moment. The fact you are asking her should be memorable enough, not the bells and whistles that surround it, fuelled by the Rom-Com movie industry making you feel you have to do anything other than get her consent.

I didn't ask my Mrs. She asked me. About 10 mins after f******* my brains out in the early hours of the morning. Memorable and not one ounce of smaltsy crap to go with it, now been married 12 and half years.

Comment

From the criteria I'm inclined to think that you want to find some kind of underwater (or mountain top) army bar to do this here proposing.

I'd give it a few weeks mind. She'll only throw it up in your face later about how you only did it because she said so.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                    From the criteria I'm inclined to think that you want to find some kind of underwater (or mountain top) army bar to do this here proposing.

I'd give it a few weeks mind. She'll only throw it up in your face later about how you only did it because she said so.
                    That is a fair point Joe.

can't be too close to her 'ideal' or she will bemoan a lack of originality.

Comment

DirtySanchez, I'm asking if anyone has any suggestions, rather than in need of advice. Keen to see what other people have done, and how it went down. I have been married before, and always wished I'd proposed a little more romantically, rather than what I did do (telling her I wanted to marry her just the second before she went through the ticket barriers at Fujisawa station and I turned and headed home without waiting for a reply). Thank you for posting yours. I'm happy married life is working out for you. But I wasn't actually asking if a romantic gesture was still the done thing or not.

Looking at the other posts, that's an idea, QC. Would give me an excuse to whack the Godzilla films on more often. Soundwave - that would probably go down fantastically with 99% of Japanese girls. This one is in the other 1%. Which is a pity - Tokyo Disney isn't too far away. Glad it went down well in your case - good luck with the forthcoming wedding.

ItsThere, you have PM

Comment

An army bar would, in theory, be awesome. She would love it if it was authentic. In practice, in Japan it would likely be run and frequented mostly be extremely unmilitary otakus who have an obsession with collecting military uniform and trinkets.

I just mentioned the military to give a little info about her personality, so that I didn't get too many cutesy suggestions with people thinking she was feminine like the ironically-named tarento girls on Japanese TV. But if you know of an underwater military restaurant, please post it.

Comment

Don't do eeeeeeeeet!!

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post

The couple involved were actors, this was faked as an advert
                            Whatever gave it away?

Comment

Remember to get down on one and knee and say Will You Marry Me? (in those exact words if you are both english speakers)

Comment

Working...
                              X