Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
    1080i doesn't equal bad.

The reason it's 1080i is probably because A) Europe decided to stick with 50hz for HDTV (bad decision IMHO) and B) there is no 50hz-compatible 1080p mode on Blu-ray.

I don't know how that show was produced, but I'd guess most of it will be shot at 25fps using film-like motion. Some BD players (or TVs) will know what to do with this and will be able to pull full resolution 1080p video out of the 1080i signal. Others will show small deinterlacing artefacts.

I'm sure it'll look great... again, 1080i doesn't = bad. (Although it's certainly not how I'd have done it had it been my decision).
    Yeah that's probably it, I guess it's made by different people then the ones that did Life and Planet Earth, because I seem to recall when Planet Earth came out they made a big thing out of the HD quality and the way they had filmed it. I'm sure we'll enjoy watching Frozen Planet though.

Comment

Just finished watching it Soundwave. Its absolutely gorgeous and has some really colourful & charming characters. You'll be very happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero9X View Post
        Just finished watching it Soundwave. Its absolutely gorgeous and has some really colourful & charming characters. You'll be very happy with it.
        Awesome!

Looking forward to watching it now...just hope someone's bought it for me now lol

Glad you enjoyed it...the trailers I've seen certainly make it look good.

Neil

Comment

Finally got around to picking up Inception in the sale. Love the film, just wish the blu-ray had more extras. The 5.1 soundtrack is the best thing on the extras disc and that Prologue is darn good too.
          Last edited by SuperBeatBoy; 25-12-2011, 00:08.

Comment

Nice! Bout time.

Comment

Only ?90 at amazon too - I've already preordered, that's about ?4.50 a film!!

Comment

Comparison video for the upcoming Star Trek: Next Generation Season 1 set. Impressive update

Comment

The announcement I've been waiting for!

I prefer the US packaging over the UK one but it's nearly twice the price to import so I've pre-ordered the UK one.

Can't wait

Comment

Doesnt anyone know if the US disney produced ghibli blu-rays are any better/different than the UK releases from optimum?

Really love the cover art on the US releases, but cant find any video info.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      The announcement I've been waiting for!

I prefer the US packaging over the UK one but it's nearly twice the price to import so I've pre-ordered the UK one.

Can't wait
                      Don't like either of the packagins. One is bulky and the other is ugly. And would much rather they would release them separately, as I have no intention of seeing either Topaz or Family Plot again. Will probably pick up the set any way, unless Vertigo, Rear Window and Rope is announced as separate releases before then.

Comment

Originally posted by PaTaito View Post
                        Doesnt anyone know if the US disney produced ghibli blu-rays are any better/different than the UK releases from optimum?

Pretty sure the video transfer is identical, that's usually the case across blu-rays released around the same time, and I can't fault the few UK ones I have on that front either. I actually prefer the art on the Optimum releases, much more toned down and subtle, while the Disney versions are too photoshoppy and dramatic for my tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex WS View Post
                          Pretty sure the video transfer is identical, that's usually the case across blu-rays released around the same time, and I can't fault the few UK ones I have on that front either. I actually prefer the art on the Optimum releases, much more toned down and subtle, while the Disney versions are too photoshoppy and dramatic for my tastes.
                          I found that the disney releases are just more colourful, well in the few i've seen anyways. Arrietty, Nausicaa, Laputa.

Not worth it if the video is the same though.
                          Last edited by PaTaito; 11-07-2012, 03:22.

Comment

It depends on the films. If they were photographed on film, the US versions (many of which I think are done at Panasonic Hollywood Lab) are better. The UK/Australian versions have film grain reduction applied (which is funny because I believe Hayao Miyazaki himself has voiced distate at this being done to Disney's animated films) which changes the look of the film and sometimes erases small details. Downrezzed captures are at http://ghiblicon.blogspot.co.uk/2011...y-blu-ray.html (it also looks like they got the black level wrong on the UK/Aus version?

For the digitally produced films like Ponyo, the UK versions are just as good from what I've seen.

With that said - my brother bought the UK BD of Arrietty before it was available in the US. I picked up on problems after one minute of watching (although I would, it's one of my jobs):

1. There is a flash frame (black frame) after the opening credits before the rest of the film starts. Presumably where the English language opening sequence has been spliced in. Sloppy.

2. The original Japanese text scenes are not on the UK BD. That includes the credits and also the part in the film where the kid gives Arrietty a note. The American BD has the original Japanese version on as an option.

3. The subtitles on the UK BD translate the Japanese on screen text, but that isn't an option on the disc. So, in the aforementioned scene, it's written on screen in English AND subtitled in English. You get "THE SECRET WORLD OF ARRIETTY" written on screen in English, then subtitled as "THE SECRET WORLD OF ARRIETTY" (or something similar) below it.

None of these are a huge deal, but they're sloppy and none of them appear on the US disc. Points 2 and 3 point to the disc being prepared primarily to watch with the dubbed version, with the Japanese audio track as an extra. The American BD seamlessly switches between the proper scenes; if you select Japanese audio with English subtitles then you get the Japanese film, on screen text and all.
                            Last edited by Lyris; 11-07-2012, 04:42.

Comment

Looking forward to picking Jaws up today

Comment

Working...
                              X