Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think ive just broken something, advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think ive just broken something, advice!

Right, faceslaps have already happened, but i need to know if ive knackered my fridge/freezer.

Its just one of those little ones, with a small icebox / freezer compartment at the top, thats not our main freezer by any means.

basically, it was overloaded with ice, so was trying to clear it, with a knife.

dont know if i hit something inside, but all of a sudden, for about 5 seconds, what looked like gas escaped then it stopped. There is no odor from what i can tell, and nothing is escaping now.

ive looked again on the inside of the ice box section, there are not major visibe puncture marks, and i certainly havnt hit a pipe or cable.

Now... The question... Have i knackered the whole thing (fridge aswell) or just the icebox section? if its the latter, i can handle it, as we never really use it!

Only on Xmas eve!!

Thanks

Aaron

Wait and see if it still works. If it doesn't, there's your answer. I imagine the fridge and the icebox have separate settings which would imply separate cooling systems. That's my guess at least.

Next time use a spatula, nothing with a blade. Be happy that the knife didn't stick and that you didn't slice your fingers.

Comment

What ever you do, don't put the turkey in there!

Comment

I've done the same thing with a screwdriver once, I'm sorry but its fooked.

Use plastic tools and scrapers in future

Not sure if its the whole thing, see if the freezer stays cold I guess.

Comment

I just dropped something on my couple of month old laptop and scratched the screen...rarr.

Sounds like you punctured it with the knife. Its bust.

Comment

It's fooked mate...if you think you seen some gas escaping then both fridge and freezer won't work..they both use the same gas..

Comment

My dad used to have a refirgeration business so I know a little.

Bottom line its fooked, you have pierced the pipes just behind the inside cover which contain the refrigerant gas and enable's it to cool down.

Get your stuff out of it and into some other storage as it will go off quickly because its an insulated cabinet so when some room temp air gets in it will stay at that temp so everything will start to go off quickly.

Sorry mate

Comment

Originally posted by ezee ryder View Post
                What ever you do, don't put the turkey in there!
                You're right. He should put it in the oven

Comment

right its been a fair few hours since the "incident" and the fridge is still as cold as anything, the ice that was left in the freezer section is still as hard as rock.

any more thoughts? ive brought a new one just in case, but wont arrive until the new year, but for the time being, it seems ok?

Comment

It will be because its an insulated cabinet so as long as you dont keep the door open for a while it will keep its temperature for about 24 hrs.

After that the temp will start to rise and your stuff will start to go off.
                    Last edited by Robster; 24-12-2009, 20:54. Reason: insulated not insulted lol

Comment

Working...
                    X