The Best and Worst Movies of 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Best and Worst Movies of 2009

Good time for the thread now that Avatar has had time to sink in.

What did you like and hate about 2009 in terms of films? Best/worst films you saw? Films that were overlooked?

Best Film: Up

Starts on an incredible high and tapers off once being the explorer is introduced but still a phenomenal film. Shame it's the last new Pixar franchise for a while (and no Incredibles 2 either!).

Runner up: Cloudy with a Chance of meatballs

Brilliant imagination and it made me chuckle throughout without needing to resort to pop culture references for laughs (although it has some subtle references for the eagle eyed).

Worst Film: Transformers 2

A family film with 'square person gets high' jokes and a camera looking up every female cast member's skirt. Long, boring, you can't see anything in the action scenes because of the 2 second shots and mass of random metals, plot was wafer thin and stupid... I could rant for hours.

Overall I don't think it's been a good year for films the blockbusters have all been franchises (except Avatar) and I think only Avatar and Up are likely to be remembered.

I have a top 3 for best film.

Best: The Hurt Locker, Avatar, District 9

Runner Up: Up

Worst: 9

I still have high hopes for Sherlock Holmes, which is out on boxing day.

Comment

Best: Gran Torino, The Box. The first is an exceptionally powerful, beautifully made movie that proves the perfect swansong for Clint as an actor, the second brought brilliant, mysterious, unpredictable sci-fi oddness back into the cinematic spotlight, and it's nuts with capitals N,U,T and S.

Worst: Harry Brown. It does everything that Gran Torino did right wrong, then clumsily attempts to add dashes of the (great) Get Carter into the mix, insulting both Caine, Get Carter, Gran Torino, and British Cinema in the process. It's naff.

Comment

The worst films I saw this year were 7 pounds or Gamer

Comment

was going to create a similar thread along these lines. I can't remember a better year for movies to be honest. Watchmen, Valkyrie, Star Trek, Inglourious Basterds, District 9, Up, Ponyo, Avatar, Crank 2 and Public Enemies (and probably more I've forgotten) were great. Then there were films like dragonball, wolverine and transformers 2 which were all pretty terrible but still entertaining.

Comment

Forgot about gamer, but i at least watched all of it. I gave up on 9 after 20mins, it was so one dimensional and formulaic.

Comment

In The Loop was my favourite film this year followed closely by Up. Haven't seen much this year tbh, but both those were superb.

Comment

Best: The Hangover - The only thing to say is......ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS!

Also thoroughly enjoyed watching District 9, Up, Watchmen and Avatar.

Worst: Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li - I watched 30 mins or so of it and couldn't stomach anymore. Awful in every sense of the word.

Comment

I'll be compiling a proper list next this week when I've seen Sherlock Holmes but I have a feeling that Fantastic Mr Fox is my film of the year. It's been a superb year, though. Plenty of 4**** and 5***** films.

There has been a few stinkers, though. Will be going through my stubs, naming and shaming!

Comment

The Wrestler, Crank2, Up and Inglorious Basterds were my favourites this year.

Public Enemies or District 9 the most disappointing.

I avoided Transformers 2.

Comment

Up, Inglorious Basterds, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and District 9 were the best for me.

Duplicity, X-men and Terminator were the worst.

Star Trek, Watchmen and Terminator were the most disappointing.

Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs was the most surprising.

Comment

Decided to do this now. I will see what Sherlock, Nine and Where The Wild Things Are before the end of 2009 as well.

Total films seen theatrically in 2009 (so far): 116

I will pick, at the most, my top 5 of every month. I will have to miss out some very good films. This list does not necessarily mean they were released that month. It reflects when I watched them!

Highlights:

January
                        Frost/Nixon
                        The Reader
                        Slumdog Millionaire
                        The Wrestler
                        Vicky Christina Barcelona

February
                        Milk
                        Benjamin Button

March
                        Gran Torino
                        Watchmen
                        Bronson
                        Knowing (controversial but I really enjoyed this)

April
                        Let The Right One In
                        The Boat That Rocked

May
                        Coraline
                        Star Trek
                        Drag Me To Hell

June
                        The Hangover

July
                        Sunshine Cleaning
                        Moon
                        Harry Potter 5

August
                        Inglorious Basterds

September
                        Funny People
                        500 Days Of Summer
                        The Hurt Locker
                        Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs
                        Dorian Gray
                        Surrogates

October
                        Toy Story 3D
                        Zombieland
                        Up
                        Fantastic Mr Fox

November
                        Christmas Carol 3D
                        A Serious Man
                        The Men Who Stare At Goats
                        The Informant!
                        Twilight: New Moon

December
                        Law Abiding Citizen
                        The Box

I seem to have enjoyed a lot of films this year! Notice that I have left out some big blockbusters like Terminator 4 and Transformers 2. With a heavy heart I also left out Saw. I love the series but it doesn't belong here. Twilight, Star Trek and Harry Potter just about got in there. Had a little think about it and they do belong - entertaining films in their own right.

Perhaps the biggest omission is District 9. Despite the glowing reviews I just didn't think much of it which surprised and disappointed me.

I will now attempt to compile that clustercuss into an orderly Top 10.

Comment

Top 10

1. Fantastic Mr Fox
                          2. The Wrestler
                          3. Bronson
                          4. 500 Days Of Summer
                          5. Avatar 3D
                          6. Inglorious Basterds
                          7. Gran Torino
                          8. Benjamin Button
                          9. Up
                          10. Moon

I think I have the right films. To order them is really difficult. They each evoked strong emotions from me when watching. Very different emotions and some great examples of film genius within that list. When I'm leaving the likes of Let The Right One In and Milk you know it's been a great year.
                          Last edited by cutmymilk; 21-12-2009, 23:04.

Comment

I don't know if any of these are really from this year because Japan is very far behind most of the time, but my favourites were Valkyrie and The Wrestler. Reserving a spot in the top 3 for either Up or Avatar, both of which I will be hopefully be watching soon.

Comment

Best:
                              1. Drag Me To Hell
                              2. Watchmen
                              3. Paranormal Activity

Honourable mentions: Inglorious Basterds, Up
                              Moon

Yet to see (but desperately wanting to): Fantastic Mr. Fox, Avatar, Sherlock Holmes
                              Last edited by nickgodfrey; 21-12-2009, 14:23.

Comment

Working...
                              X