Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vagrant Story on PSN this Tuesday 22nd

As the title says!

This is one of my favourite PS1 RPGs and indeed one of my top 10 RPGs ever list.

It is tricky to get to grips with and the weapon/itemforging can overwhelm to begin with but once your in.........your in!

If you love the sense of being alone, love epic music and unique art style I urge you to make good with the monies!
    Last edited by 'Press Start'; 18-12-2009, 09:33.

I tried playing this the other day, I never got out of the first dungeon due to another game coming out at the same time as this was released.

Have they improved the graphics or sound at all? 'Cos they are god aweful hehe

Comment

PS1 games don't get overhauls when they go up on the store. In some cases I don't think they even test them first...

Comment

Pretty much one of my games of the decade, and the art design and soundtrack are still hugely impressive, unless you're one of those "OMFG 1st gen 3D ololololo" fools. Spot FX are almost non-existent, though, I admit. Wish I had my CD to hand.

Comment

The soundtrack is remarkable, indeed - Hitoshi Sakamoto's finest perhaps? The snowfly forest music is just magical.

Comment

Wasnt Vagrant Story one of the 1st Ps1 games that were designed to be optimised when run In a Ps2? I know that most games looked improved in general but Im sure I heard something about this at the time and that it was specifically enhanced or something.

Guess that wouldnt make any difference now as it'll look pretty rough on a big screen, should look gorgeous on a PSP though

Comment

i'm sure they are nothing alike but from watching some videos this game reminds me of demons souls.

Am I wrong?

Comment

Any idea if this is still due to hit today? And if so roughly what time?

Comment

The PSN update is up so its here and all addition content for the PSN.

Comment

It is fairly similar to Demon's Souls in tone and art design - pretty dark, serious stuff with whatever humour they've left in fairly dry at best. They're also both gorgeous games - if you can deal with PS1-era 3D you won't find much better than this. Like Demon's Souls, Vagrant Story can also be fairly tough to get into; much as I love it, the weapon/levelling system is flatly ridiculously contrived, and it's all too easy to utterly **** up your build if you don't pay close attention to what you're doing. I still remember when I first beat it having to struggle through the final boss at a snail's pace since I could only do a few points' damage with every strike I got in.

Comment

have given up my custom firmware on psp now to be able to play all these official releases (that actually work)

Comment

just bought this. Looking forward to getting stuck into it over Xmas.

Originally posted by Largo View Post
                        have given up my custom firmware on psp now to be able to play all these official releases (that actually work)
                        I've managed to install this on my cfw psp with no problem. Works fine.

Comment

FF8 was giving me problems sadly

Comment

Put an hour or so in to this last night. I was maybe a bit too young to comprehend all the games intricacies when it first came out, so am looking forward to the possibility of maybe finishing it this time.

I'd forgotten how superb the opening is. The visuals are hampered slightly by the PS1's warped and bubbling textures, but the overall look is still really unique and massively atmospheric. I can't think of a game since that's used a similar art-style...All the dramatically silhouetted characters, comic-book style camera shots and moody skies and such. It's a stylistic dream I tells ya.

Epic music too. Reminds me of Panzer Dragoon.

An absolute barg' for ?4.79, then.

Comment

Is this 50hz crappiness?

All my PS1 classics are from either JP or US Store, so a PAL game would feel like a downgrade.

Comment

Working...
                              X