Nintendo NX: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nintendo NX: Thread 01

The Nes, the Snes, the Nintendo 64, the Gamecube, the Wii and the Wii U. Nintendo has had a very up and down history with their home consoles ranging from underdog strugglers to whirlwind success stories. Whilst the WiiU has seen an up turn in sales following the releases of the latest Smash Bros game and the acclaimed Mario Kart 8, it's become clear that the system will forever struggle. The latest update for its sales still have the system languishing in the same numbers range as the start of the year with a total worldwide sales figure of 7.29m units.

For the average system lifespan the third year on market represents it's mid life, for those that run shorter it can be the peak before a upcoming successor arrives to steal the limelight. With WiiU struggling to such a large extent it's hard to believe that it is going to have a long shelf life ahead of itself and with much of 2015's line up already positioned to woo gamers it currently leaves 2016 as the big question mark with no known titles rumoured or set post-the Zelda that is planned for next Xmas. Until we get near E3 it's likely that speculation will begin mounting of a new console, with Nintendo's undoubtedly the next console we'll see be released.

Though we're still obviously early on from seeing anything physical to evidence a new system, we've already reached the point where Miyamoto has felt comfortable enough to confirm Nintendo now has teams working on planning the new machine. His words from this weeks interview also suggesting the next time we see a Mario title will be on the new console as opposed to the WiiU receiving two platformers like its predecessor did.

For any speculation, reports or rumours I thought there might as well be a dedicated thread rather than the WiiU thread being brought off track regularly by chatter about where Nintendo needs to go next.

It is clear though, that the sales figures WiiU has and seems likely to end up on are well, well below what a company should reasonably expect or wish to see. Especially for one that has come off the figures the previous console made.

Taking Nintendo's ethos in mind, would you be happy to see their seventh console arrive in late 2016? How much do they need to break from their usual approaches to business and design philosophy?
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 17-03-2015, 09:21.

If anything, I reckon they need a return to basics. They are trying to sell hardware rather than software. That worked for both the DS and the Wii but it has been difficult to repeat. Get back to basics on the system itself but focus on that game support and don't launch it until they have the certainty of a strong first year using both their own killer IP (not launching with remakes) and 3rd party support.

Nintendo are still one of the strongest creators of software but appear to have lost sight of that somewhat.

Oh and don't call it a Wii-anything.

But for now, I would rather they put focus on delivering more for both 3DS and Wii-U. I don't think they need new hardware. There are still more sales to be generated on those systems. Make new Zelda awesome. Give us an actual new Mario game on Wii-U. Dust off Metroid for both systems. And start making sequels on the same system. I guess they did that with Galaxy 2 but it's a rare occurrence for Nintendo.

Comment

Don't call it a Wii-anything.

Yes.

Comment

Just call it the MEGANES. No wait, that's a car. How about ULTRANES. Or NESOU (NES Owns You). Or anything else not involving wii.

Comment

Call it the Thrii.

Comment

hahah, good one

Comment

If they follow rule of thumb and avoid the more expensive choices Sony risked your looking at XBO level hardware. Given the success of PS4 and the PR battle XBO has faced with each third party release you'd think Nintendo would acknowledge the need for something developer friendly and durable. 2016 does seem too early for a new console but given the rumour swell for new hardware and that post Zelda there isn't much else left to bring to WiiU bar Animal Crossing (assuming Nintendo sticks to one ip entry per system), I don't think they can afford to hit later either

Comment

Christmas 2017. Earliest. Why is everyone so eager? Can't we have next MS/Sony console threads too where we look forward to 60fps?

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  Can't we have next MS/Sony console threads too where we look forward to 60fps?
                  Nah...it'll be sub 4K & 20-30 FPS again

Comment

What's the point in this ? I would have thought also console manufacturers begin work on their successors just after the launch of their current console .

Comment

Shouldn't we be celebrating all the quality on the wiiU this year and coming next rather than thinking about the next one?

We all wanted more games on it, we got them, there exclusive and won't appear on another platform barring a Ninty handheld, and it's still not good enough, come on guys lets show a little more love for the odd ball.
                      Last edited by fishbowlhead; 22-12-2014, 08:23.

Comment

Whilst the WiiU does finally have a steady stream of decent titles on the near horizon, it sadly doesn't affect any potential arrival of a new system. From Dreamcast to Xbox 360, new consoles can be announced and rumoured very early if the predecessor doesn't sell enough or doesn't meet the targets of the parent company. If I'm not mistaken, both those examples followed higher selling systems than the WiiU too. If the WiiU continues to sell barely 1m a year it isn't in Nintendo's interests to stick with it long term making such speculation at this point only natural. The only other system in a similar boat I think is Vita but I think everyone assumes there won't be a follow up to that.

Comment

100% agree with that. I think anything following the Wii was going to be a disappoint sales wise though, barring the wii and NES Nintys consoles haven't done huge number like playstation did, though they always made a good profit I should add, home console wise I mean.
                          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 22-12-2014, 09:01.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                            We all wanted more games on it, we got them, there exclusive and won't appear on another platform barring a Ninty handheld
                            I haven't seen this happen. Nintendo themselves released a pic with their big hits on it for 3DS and Wii U. On the Wii U side was Rayman Legends which we all have on other systems and then evolutions of other games, such as 3D World (the excellent 3D Land notably missing from the 3DS side maybe to make it look more unique). Wind Waker was on there, a Gamecube classic but hardly a Wii U original. Both Bayonettas, only one of which is exclusive to my knowledge. Solid games on the list for sure but still very few knockouts or anything really special.

I don't see anything wrong with the hardware but they need to get big new games on there.

Comment

I meant it in more of a general, if ninty made it it's only ever going to be on their hardware. In bayonetta 2 case it was funded by them so again don't think it will ever appear on anything else.

Obviously it depends on what your after but I've been more than impressed with the WiiU so far, especially as its virtually all ninty games given the 3rd party support is now non existent.

More than enough content to sink your teeth into.

Comment

Working...
                              X