Split Second (360, PS3 & PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ezee ryder View Post

It's the same with the majority of other games too, no? If you want to get a high score or rank then you will be challenged, you can't just expect to have it all your way.
    What are you on about? I'm not expecting it to be easy, I'm not saying that at all. I am merely saying that the game turns out to be quite unfair later on and that is what most peeps on the forum have been mentioning.

As your only on EP 4 you have quite a way to go.

Comment

Hmm, "unfair" if you're going after all the golds or just in general?

Your previous post implied the game becomes "unfair" if you are trying get all the gold medals. I was just saying I would expect the difficulty to rise if you're going after all the gold medals as you progress through the game, just natural really.

I am on episode four though, maybe I will come across this "unfair" gameplay you mention soon. What episode did it begin for you?

Comment

Played a fair bit of this now.

Better than Burnout Paradise? No chance. The races themselves are a bit better constructed than Burnouts races but that's because burnouts races are in an open city and let you go which ever way you want but overall burnout offers so much more like marked man, stunt runs, road rage and all the online stuff is great with the road rules, showtime rules and challenges. Plus there's all the different places to explore and all the billboards/gates to find.
        Burnouts been played almost every month since I got it, can't see myself playing split second much if at all after 3 months to be honest. The game seems like the races themselves a short burst of explosive fun.

Races seem to be best in their first few tries, after that its all pretty repetitive you know where the best power play locations are, where to avoid etc.

I don't like the drifting so far but hopefully it's just the car I'm using and as I get more cars it will improve hopefully.

Kinda wish I had rented this and bought blur

Comment

I've decided to walk away from this now. I can feel the breaking point coming up with it and I don't want to push myself over the edge so I don't bother with S/S2 which could end up being rather special. It's been a largely fun blast and hopefully, next time, Black Rock can sort out the balancing of the racing as much as they have the tracks.

Comment

I am on episode four though, maybe I will come across this "unfair" gameplay you mention soon. What episode did it begin for you?
            From Ep 6-7 onwards. Its very noticable in the Elite races. Vixen and Rapture are generally top, unless you get lucky.

Comment

No luck beating the Elite involved , its called strategy.

Comment

You don't have to aim for gold in all the events though, and if you do want to then you are gonna have to expect some sort of challenge. I'm on episode four at the moment and have got gold for every race/event so far bar one (bloody detonator event, only a second off though). The majority of them have definitely been challenging, but not even once have I felt cheated or thought that the game is being unfair.

It's the same with the majority of other games too, no? If you want to get a high score or rank then you will be challenged, you can't just expect to have it all your way.
                its pretty easy to get gold in the first 4 events......its the last 4 that is difficult

Comment

Finished the game now. Overall a very enjoyable game with a great central idea, spoilt by the AI racers, but heres to SS2! Not sure what they are hinting at for the sequel in the ending, but maybe its for the future DLC (there is at least one empty slot on the race selection screen to hint that DLC is another track).

Now I have completed the game, online is more of a proposition, but it is still a silly design that you can only race with those cars you have already unlocked in SP, making the jump-in nature of online completely redundant. Game-testing people and producers, COME ON.

One slightly pikey element to the presentation was the fact that in-game help messages always flashed up, even if you are near the end of the game! (especially in Air strike). Given that I was forced to watch the whole credit sequence at the end, there where shed-loads of QA Testers, and yet no one spotted this. Shabby.

Comment

On episode 9 at the moment and I still don't really get the "it's unfair" complaints. I've got gold in every single event/race so far and, yeah, they have been challenging (had 2 or 3 tries on most) but I can't say any of them have been unjust or unfair.

Yes, the elite races are more challenging than the standard races (especially if you're going for gold), but isn't that the whole point?! As MisterBubbles said, those races are all about strategy. To win the elite races you have to use your power plays wisely and, of course, race well! In two of the elite races (episode 5 and 7 I think) I actually finished around 5 seconds ahead of second place!

Anyway, I'm still loving the game and I certainly don't feel it getting repetitive. The events are fun and varied enough to keep me interested.

Comment

It's been said before, but a major part of the battle with this game is picking the right car. I was struggling like mad with the airstrike events using my vehicle of choice, so i changed vehicle styles and started nailing them. Still finding this addictive as hell, a quick half hour go last night turned into a 3 hour session finishing at 2:30 this morning

Comment

Originally posted by englishbob View Post
                        Finished the game now. Overall a very enjoyable game with a great central idea, spoilt by the AI racers, but heres to SS2! Not sure what they are hinting at for the sequel in the ending, but maybe its for the future DLC (there is at least one empty slot on the race selection screen to hint that DLC is another track).
                        Forgot to ask, did you manage to get gold in all of the events/races?

EDIT - Just finished the season mode and managed to get gold in all the events/races. As I mentioned in previous posts, I never found it to be unfair or repetitive. The last few episodes were definitely harder to gold than the rest but, hey, I totally expected that. The challenge was always fair and it felt absolutely brilliant when I won an elite race (or any other event) thanks to a last minute (second more like!) power play. The ending was a bit weird but it sets up things very nicely for a sequel and I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Burnout Paradise aside, this (for me) is the best arcade racer around at the moment. Awesome game.
                        Last edited by ezee ryder; 05-06-2010, 01:21.

Comment

Just tried the online modes the game has to offer and, I must say, they were quite fun. Nothing amazing, just plain old fun. Still, I imagine Blur is way better in that department though.

The single player is amazing though, love it. I have Blur and ModNation Racers but I'm still going back to this now even after I have finished the season mode.

Improvements for the inevitable sequel? As dvdx2 mentioned earlier in the thread, you should be able to boost. Adding that mechanic in would add another fantastic layer of strategy to the game. I guess they could also some new event types. The ones that are in the game now are fantastic, but it never hurts to have even more variety. Apart from that I am quite happy with everything else.

Comment

You've totally sold me on this Ezee I enjoyed the demo.

All your posts have been positive, and when I enjoy my way through my small backlog of games - this will be bought.

Comment

Glad to hear that dude.

It's an awesome arcade racer that has got some unjust criticism on here, in my humble opinion anyway. Believe me, if the game was unfair then I would be the first one to criticise it! Repetitiveness? Well, I guess that depends on the person playing the game. I certainly found there to be enough variation to keep me interested right the way through the end. You have normal, elimination and elite races, then to add to that you have events like air strike, air revenge, survival and detonator.

Trust me, I'm no hotshot at these type of games yet I managed to get gold in all the races/events without too much trouble. Sure, you will probably have to try some races/events more than once but that is expected.

Definitely give it a go mate, especially if you enjoyed the demo.

Comment

Just started playing this. Its alot of fun but i'm finding using the powerplays really difficult, I cant really tell when I'm suppose to be using them in a manner that will actualy hit anyone (in fact I often hit myself becuase I'm never really sure what they are going to do).

They all seem to have their own little picture/icon that probabaly describes what they are, but you have to be so quick to use them that its hard to focus on what they are really.

Comment

Working...
                                X