No announcement yet.

Split Second (360, PS3 & PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really impressed with the game and the tech , it totally owns Blur for starters . Great fun and some of the best handling around . Loved the music too .

Playing this reminded me of Scud Racer for some reason

Comment

Had a few playthroughs last night and I was surprised by how the divide in playstyles between this and Blur are wider than they first appear to be. The first thing that hit me was the outside view... the game runs sooo much slower in that view and the swinging camera makes it too hard to play which is a shame as it's sheer eye candy overwise. Switching to the inside view the pace quickens and the controls just click. It's still slower than I expected but I'm reserving judgement on that as it'd be weird for a racer to not have faster unlockable cars as you progress.

Each time I did a run through the course direction altered quite a bit and played out differently which is impressive. After a few more it's going to start repeating but say it manages 6 variations... that's still 5 variations more than 99% of other racers on the market. The power plays impressed me as well. They've managed to perfectly balance them so that they feel practically deadly but avoidable at the same time. On the second run through I managed to get a comfortable lead so didn't have many triggers to blow the track come up, but the key difference with this and most racers is 1st place isn't a boring place to be in, because the other cars are behind me in the race I'm tearing down straights with the walls blowing out around me trying to keep the car on the road.

There's an improved chance I might get Blur as though I feel it's the less interesting and... kinda soulless alternative to this, it is a different kind of racer. Though generally speaking I'm now expecting Split/Second to be my fave and possibly cause Blur to underperform at retail.

Comment

I thought it a gorgeous looking game but incredibly unresponsive. You press left and it seems to take a quarter of a second to actually turn left. Maybe I've been playing too much Forza 3 running at a beautiful 60 fps recently, but even compared to PGR and Blur this felt too slow to respond.

Comment

Just checked the release date. 21st May. Not good, same day as Red Dead.

28th is Blur too.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
            I thought it a gorgeous looking game but incredibly unresponsive. You press left and it seems to take a quarter of a second to actually turn left. Maybe I've been playing too much Forza 3 running at a beautiful 60 fps recently, but even compared to PGR and Blur this felt too slow to respond.
            A lack of control response will always be a problem with 30fps games. Some people notice it more than others, so it's definitely a game breaker for a certain percentage of gamers. There's a good reason why the majority of Japanese racers( even modern Ridge Racers, Gran Turismo ) have run at 60fps; a high framerate feels much slicker and enables more precise control.

A lot of western devs know that the majority of gamers don't care about framerate, so they design their projects to run at 30fps. Forza is a rare example of a western racing series that is designed to run at 60fps and lots of gamers recognise and appreciate that choice.

Comment

played it now a few times, it looks great it handels well but I'm missing the SPEED , it all seems so slow, I really don't have the feeling I'm in some kind of frantic race, it feels more like cruising around and blowing up some stuff along the way... I'm really missing a boost button in this one ! Although drifting is better as in Blur I still think Pure was much much better to control and in Pure you had a much better sensation of speed...

Not sure if I'll be getting this day one, it's a shame as Blur also didn't really do it for me.... I was really looking forward to this one...
              Last edited by TheForce; 29-04-2010, 19:14.

Comment

I can't wait for this, just had a go again and didn't realise you could alter the route a second time on the start finish straight, first time gives you the underground carpark, 2nd time round takes you round the back of the terminals and runways. really neat.

Comment

Ignore.
                  Last edited by Paulos G; 01-05-2010, 10:29. Reason: Cussing in the wrong thread

Comment

Just played this through a couple of times, and the track was different each time. Rather nice.

Seemed that once I was out in first (which seemed rather easy to do, without even activating any powerplays) there wasn't a whole deal to stop you from winning. I guess that's down to it being a demo, and probably an early stage, so no big deal.

I actually seem to be in a minority and rather liked Blur, although Im not sure how much of that was down to wanting to like Blur, if that makes sense? (I was a big PGR fan). This though... different league for me. Will definitely be picking this up near launch.

Comment

Just tried the PS3 demo and it's fun but definitely more ropey than the 360 version

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                        Just tried the PS3 demo and it's fun but definitely more ropey than the 360 version
                        LOL wat

They are nearly identical, in fact the Ps3 one tears less than the 360

One is PS3 the other is 360, please do point out the ropey one

Last edited by dvdmike; 06-05-2010, 08:47.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdmike View Post
                          LOL wat

They are nearly identical, in fact the Ps3 one tears less than the 360

One is PS3 the other is 360, please do point out the ropey one

No offense, but those are the same image on the same link

I tried out both demo's at the same time switching between the two and there's a definate noticeable difference in how solid the visuals are. It's another one of those 'won't bother people without having the other to compare' jobs and it' doesn't affect the play (I'm getting the PS3 version myself anyways).

Comment

Yep your right I pasted the wrong link, they real pic is there now
                            One 360 one ps3

Comment

In still form the first image looks better, I think it's a lack of anti-aliasing that's causing the rougher look of the PS3 version in motion.

Comment

I have just now watched a trailer for this. Didn't know anything about it. It looks mental!!

How are all these explosives and stuff triggered?

Comment

Working...
                                X