No announcement yet.

BPX024: Time to Say Goodbye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be quite happy for this gen to go on for a long while yet. The days of massive leaps between console generations are long gone, and I've no desire to buy another machine, more pads etc.

Comment

I'm in agreement. We will be in the same boat with graphics being more important than framerate, anyway.

Also, to get the most out of a PS4 for a AAA game takes 4-5 years. I find it hard to believe game can be MUCH better. For the vast majority of developers, anyway.

Comment

I'm sure graphics will get much, much better than they are now, but it's going to take longer than it has in the past. It's one of the reasons I think Nintendo's move to mobile tech is a smart one. It's advanced much more quickly in the last 10 years than desktop technology.

Comment

Think this gen has been great and we seen massive leaps in GFX over what the 360 or PS3 could handle. Can see this gen going on for another 2 years before we started to see the new specs and getting ready for the new console.

Like the MS model and its legacy support in how all games and accessories will work on the new system Think this gen has been great and we have seen massive leaps in GFX over what the 360 or PS3 could handle and I've loved the games this gen too. Can see this gen going on for another 2 years before we started to see the new specs and getting ready for the new console.

Like the MS model and its legacy support in how all games and accessories will work on the new system

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            Think this gen has been great and we seen massive leaps in GFX over what the 360 or PS3 could handle. Can see this gen going on for another 2 years before we started to see the new specs and getting ready for the new console.

Like the MS model and its legacy support in how all games and accessories will work on the new system Think this gen has been great and we have seen massive leaps in GFX over what the 360 or PS3 could handle and I've loved the games this gen too. Can see this gen going on for another 2 years before we started to see the new specs and getting ready for the new console.

That sounds like a fair prediction on when we'll hear about the next generation of consoles. We're now getting into the period where the devs are familiar with the technology and are pushing the consoles with the titles that are being announced. Even when the follow-up consoles get announced they will probably be another 6-12 months out anyway. Therefore we'll be looking at that late 2020 being the release window for Sony/Microsoft's new devices hitting the market (and I'd be fine with that). Hopefully their reveals present more than just an increased level of graphical grunt.

Dual releases of titles coming to the PS4/Xbox One as well as whatever the successors will be named for 1-2 years will happen and I'll be alright with that. No doubt they'll see an updated release Red Dead Redemption 2 given Rockstar's re-release of GTA V.
            Last edited by Paddy; 06-02-2018, 13:48.

Comment

Just think. On PS2 we had three annual GTAs, on PS4 we will likely not see a single current gen incarnation.
              Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we got Grand Theft Auto V: Re-Remastered instead.

It is a good generation but as soon as you start to think about what this gen hasn't brought to date the need for a new generation really dives down, especially when the first two years amount mostly to cross-gen ports anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                Just think. On PS2 we had three annual GTAs, on PS4 we will likely not see a single current gen incarnation..
                That's not really being fair at all. On the PS we had 5 Tomb Raider games, over 5 Ridge Racer games and loads of Final Fantasy games, never got quite the same numer with the PS2 never mind PS3. GTA is a hugley complex game and the man hours needed to model its new world with today's GFX must be insane.

I would imagine we see the new GTA next year and it will blow people away, if GTA V is anything to go on

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  That sounds like a fair prediction on when we'll hear about the next generation of consoles. We're now getting into the period where the devs are familiar with the technology and are pushing the consoles with the titles that are being announced. Even when the follow-up consoles get announced they will probably be another 6-12 months out anyway. Therefore we'll be looking at that late 2020 being the release window for Sony/Microsoft's new devices hitting the market (and I'd be fine with that). Hopefully their reveals present more than just an increased level of graphical grunt.

Dual releases of titles coming to the PS4/Xbox One as well as whatever the successors will be named for 1-2 years will happen and I'll be alright with that. No doubt they'll see an updated release Red Dead Redemption 2 given Rockstar's re-release of GTA V.
                  I think it 2 years time we'll start to see developers really hitting the limits of the consoles and not only gamers, but developers will look too and want to move on. More so when the new CPUs from ARM start to come down in price and like CMck says the manufacturing processes becomes even smaller and will be perfect for consoles

Comment

The thing is most devs arent hitting the limits of the current machines. Those reaching its heights are few and even then we're talking about them making one title, two at best before wanting to further stretch themselves. This gen has shown more than any other that dev/publisher mindsets are way off base and massive trouble lies ahead for them if they maintain current approaches to software making and pipeline timescales

Comment

The thing is most devs arent hitting the limits of the current machines. Those reaching its heights are few and even then we're talking about them making one title, two at best before wanting to further stretch themselves. This gen has shown more than any other that dev/publisher mindsets are way off base and massive trouble lies ahead for them if they maintain current approaches to software making and pipeline timescales
                      I think you just being rather unfair myself. The detail that goes into the AAA games these days is massive and must be a huge task more so as the size of the maps increase and so does the detail in the game worlds. Also I don't agree with you on limits on both the PS4 and XBox One we seen games pushing the systems hard and in some cases far too with the frame rate taking a hit.

I remember when RE5 was up there with the best looking games of last gen, now it can be run at 1080 at 60 fps, something the old consoles couldn't hope to match and there is a night and day diff between Forza Horizon 2 on the One to the 360, never mind part 3, same goes for Tomb Raider (even the Remake looks much better) Hell even Ryse left most of the last gens GFX standing.

Also, you know we've had 3 Assassin's Creed games, 3 Forza games, 2 Forza Horizon games, 2 Wolfsteine games, 2 Dirt games, countless COD games, 2 Far Cry Games Ect. Then again we no doubt have threads of too many games, too many sequels, want something new and different.

Comment

There are some stunning looking games on the current hardware though the number I feel fully push the systems aren't that high and that includes the likes of Forza Horizon 3. Sony is probably the highest benchmark for getting the most of the hardware this gen and games like Horizon, God of War and Last of Us Part 2 do look a class above but they still feel to me like flags sticking up out of the crowd. Whilst more could be done on more powerful hardware the mid-gen refreshes have essentially robbed Sony and Microsoft of that card by diminishing the next consoles unless they're hugely delayed in arrival. A 2019/2020 console isn't going to deliver much more than the late 2017 £450 Xbox One X is capable of especially when the PC GPU advancement has slowed as much as it has. By that time they'll be lucky to match the 1080 series output at a marketable price and whilst those cards are undoubtedly superior to the current console options they're very far from justifying the end of the current gen.

With GPU progress having slowed as it has and 1080p still looking to be the primary resolution focus for consumers for the next few years I struggle to see anyone winning from a nearby launch of next gen consoles except those already serviced by the Pro and X

Comment

I really wouldn't be surprised if MS bow out at the end of this generation. They are seemingly winding down exclusive games and the Xbox brand just feel like they keep throwing things at the wall until something sticks. Couple that with the slow integration/merger with MS Windows environment and you have to wonder if they even need a console/games arm.

Comment

There are some stunning looking games on the current hardware though the number I feel fully push the systems aren't that high and that includes the likes of Forza Horizon 3.
                            There have been plenty of One and PS4 games that pushed the limits and maybe asked a little too much off the systems given the frame rate or screen Res have to take hits There's also been quite a higher number of 3rd party games trying to hit the 60 fps mark this gen compared to last and like I said we've had quite a high number of sequels to IP this gen with like 6 COD games, 3 Assassin Creed games, 3 Forza games, 2 Forzion Horizon games, 2 Far Cry games (soon to be 3) But then we have treads of how there's nothing new and endless sequels, so can they win ?

Next gen should be really good given the advancements with CPUs and the current war between AMD and Intel and I can not see either SONY or MS going for mobile CPUs next gen. I take the point of screen Res, but that's like knocking the PS2 for most its games barley able to hit the target of 640x480 Most of my console gaming life as been with all console barley able to run all its games in the machines highest screen res mode, much less match that of the highest screen mode of the TV around at the time. It just seems a reason to bash current gaming and overlook its always been a issues for consoels in the past even in the glory years of the Snes, MD Saturn or PS; lots of games not running in the system highest screen res mode, much less display games at the then TV native screen res of 640x480

Any half decent developed console coming out in 2 years time should be able to run rings around the current ones, with better shader effects and more cores to use Ect
                            Last edited by Team Andromeda; 07-02-2018, 01:26.

Comment

With most of the franchises that have delivered a higher number of games this gen though they're more on the annualised side of things so its a somewhat inflated figure like with COD and AC (before they took a step back). It's a hard contrast against other series or developers who find it hard to get more than one entry out in a decent timeframe and racing into another higher demand generation would be a further strain.

The whole software side of things quickly turns into another discussion but from a hardware perspective, seeing as how the base models are increasingly moving towards being entry models, I'd be quite happy for the mid-gen refreshes to live up to their moniker meaning the Xbox 4 would arrive November 2023

Comment

Well if one looks around you'll see quite a number of IP's that have had more than one sequel already this gen;only for people to moan and say how they should make somthing new, how they are bored of endless sequels

Also, I very much doubt we see the base and mid gens for the next gen. Think that happened this gen because both MS and SONY more or less know they messed up with the Jaguar CPUs and I very much doubt they'll make that mistake next gen, not least with some great new CPUs online from both Intel and AMD .
                                I can see 2020/1 being the dates for the new consoles, the long console cycle of last gen didn't really help either retail or the developers and I would imagine both will push for that not to happen again

6 to 7 years is more than enough for any console imo, not even TV tech lasts that long these days lol

Comment

Working...
                                X