No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a lot of play out of the C64 version, especially in two player mode as well. Sure it's missing a few enemy types, and the scrolling is a little slow (you deal with it), but it's pretty playable. Good enough to write a guide for Zzap!64 and get some goodies as a prize
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      I got a lot of play out of the C64 version, especially in two player mode as well. Sure it's missing a few enemy types, and the scrolling is a little slow (you deal with it), but it's pretty playable. Good enough to write a guide for Zzap!64 and get some goodies as a prize
      Cool! I once got a letter printed in Mean Machines regarding Lord of the Sword on the Master System. For the life of me I can't remember what I wrote though.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        Cool! I once got a letter printed in Mean Machines regarding Lord of the Sword on the Master System.
        I had a letter printed in EDGE in the '90s moaning about how lacking end sequences usually are in Western games. They agreed that it can be a let down to complete a game and not get a nice end sequence as a reward.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-03-2016, 05:38.

Comment

A true Classic for the first Battle of the Ports of 2018.

Comment

That X68k game (I won’t count it as a port but an original game)... Wow! I had never seen it before, and, until Rogue Squadron 2 was released I never felt there was a game that did the original film trilogy justice, at least not since the seminal Atari arcade version was released. Yes, I know, X-Wing/Tie Fighter were great but they were more a use of the Star Wars licence than paying tribute to the films.

Like has been said many times on this thread, the Amiga/ST ports could and should have been much better. Yes, the ST version looked okay, but I have seen filled polygon games run much faster and smoother on those machines. I am guessing that the code was far from optimised.

Comment

PS To anyone who hasn’t done so yet, I implore you to get down Arcade Club as they have the cockpit version of the original, along with an upright and Sega’s Star Wars Trilogy. For those who would need to travel, there is a Village Hotel about five minutes’ walk away that usually has pretty good prices at weekends.

Comment

Used to love playing the Arcade game in the Dirty Duck at Porthcawl and the ST wins it for me as not only was it a great port, its the only home port I ever played for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                  PS To anyone who hasn’t done so yet, I implore you to get down Arcade Club as they have the cockpit version of the original, along with an upright and Sega’s Star Wars Trilogy.
                  Yep, my son played that Atari cabinet when we visited the UK in December. He had a right blast.

Comment

Yep, my son played that Atari cabinet when we visited the UK in December. He had a right blast.
                    I watched this video last night and loved it.
                    Although I enjoy your dulcet tones, I'm also grateful that you realised the sound of the arcade speaks for itself and the constant jangles of the attract screens was fantastic.

Great video, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      I watched this video last night and loved it.
                      Although I enjoy your dulcet tones, I'm also grateful that you realised the sound of the arcade speaks for itself and the constant jangles of the attract screens was fantastic.

Great video, thanks!
                      There's nothing like the sound of a fantastic arcade. I'd be a right nob to dub any music or voice over on that soundtrack.

Comment

There's nothing like the sound of a fantastic arcade. I'd be a right nob to dub any music or voice over on that soundtrack.
                        I was chuckling at the fact I could recognise Bomb Jack's noises, even when off-screen.

I'm definitely going to go, your video made my mind up within about a minute of getting in there.
                        Going to take my Bro-in-law at some point. It'll probably be more satisfactory than PlayExpo.

Comment

I'm 99% certain that you could invert the controls in Amiga conversion of Star Wars. Play that game lots – up until my Amiga was finally packed away back in 1997, as it was one of the earliest Amiga games I owned that still worked on my 1200. Loaded up fast and was quick to play, just the thing I liked really.

Comment

[MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] I just realised that the last two years of your BotP posts on here are gone (obviously)...

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                              PS To anyone who hasn’t done so yet, I implore you to get down Arcade Club as they have the cockpit version of the original, along with an upright and Sega’s Star Wars Trilogy. For those who would need to travel, there is a Village Hotel about five minutes’ walk away that usually has pretty good prices at weekends.
                              I should still have the top score on Star Wars Trilogy Arcade up there but I messed up entering my initials while trying to film the high score table. Hah, now the top 5 doesn't look as streamlined as it should.

Comment

Yep, that's very sad so many comments and links gone to silicon heaven.

Comment

Working...
                                X