No announcement yet.

Goodbye NTSC-UK *sob*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this because everyone plays PAL stuff now?

Comment

Tried looking around but couldn't find any answers.
      Why is it changing names anyway? what has borders down got to do with gaming?

Comment

Originally posted by doodledude View Post
        Basically, the government is taking ownership of every UK-related site and have bought the name from Charles for around ?5.7 million of taxpayer's money. Charles went with borders down for the new site because, now that he has lost all UK affiliation, he is planning on mounting a revolution and creating a new one-world empire. So, when the new site launches, you better be armed because it's getting serious.

Also, there was a mess with the old NTSC-Uk owners and so the site needed a new name and branding etc. Non-spoilered bit may not be true.

Comment

ntsc-uk.com ended up being registered to the host who went incommunicado for a year+, so I decided to move the site to a new host and move to ntsc-uk.co.uk (which was registered to me). After the move I decided the old name is largely irrelevant, so we had a competition to decide a new name. It was either this or grumpyoldgamerswithmoregamesthantime.net

It hints at the past (we hate black borders) and the future (we shop globally and try to sample as many platforms as possible).
          Last edited by charlesr; 11-10-2011, 19:08.

Comment

Originally posted by doodledude View Post
            Some of the best gaming forums like Rllmuk or Neogaf have names that have nothing to do with gaming.

Comment

Doesn't it also hint at Border Down, the DC shooter? Or I suppose that's pretty obvious.

Comment

What do I remember?

I remember coming here from the wireplay forums (RIP) and finding it a little more mature than most other forums.
                I remember meeting up at GameOn in London and at my flat near Reading.
                I remember playing loads of crazy PS2 and DC games that I would never have discovered with this place.
                I remember chatting for hours in IRC.
                I remember Andy's inbox.
                I remember knowing that no matter how much hard work, heartache and sleepless nights was involved, it is has always been worth it to keep this place going.
                The community has constantly churned, but it has been great to be here as a constant seeing the whole thing evolve over the last ten years.
                I'm looking forward to the next ten years.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                  Doesn't it also hint at Border Down, the DC shooter? Or I suppose that's pretty obvious.
                  That's what I first thought - and that (just like me with my username) he'd cocked up and misspelled it.

Comment

Originally posted by Prototype View Post
                    Some of the best gaming forums like Rllmuk or Neogaf have names that have nothing to do with gaming.
                    Neogaf is Neo-Gaming-Age-Forums
                    But yeah I agree in general.
                    Think about it - what does ntsc mean to most people? Nothing.
                    What has amazon got to do with shopping?
                    etc.
                    The thing that people remember the name by is the content (great reviews and great forum discussion).

Comment

Originally posted by Prototype View Post
                      NeoGAF is Neo Gaming Age Forums, technically, I think. Something like that.

EDIT: Damnit Charles!

Comment

I've never been a fan of rebrands, they always seem to lose the spirit of the original, and this is just me talking but if you own .co.uk Charles, why do you want to rename the site? Are you afraid of whoever buys .com strong arming it? I think chances are .com will never be bought anyway. The reason NTSC-UK was so called might have changed, but the name is this community's identity, am I the only person who feels like this? Bordersdown doesn't quite have the same ring to it either.

I don't mean to ruffle feathers here, but I do want to speak up about it.

Comment

I found NTSC when I wanted my PS2 chipped and it led me here and to Will of London Consoles (where's he at these days?). Anyhoo, onwards and upwards. Best gaming forum on t'web and as much of a shame it is to see the old name go, a change is as good as a rest. Or some ****.

Favourite memories?

All the bust-ups, flounces and fallouts; some quality interweb moments over the years. Let's just hope the relationship thread makes the transition...

People who are actually more into gaming than saying they are on internet forums- seriously, I've learned more about certain games from here than I have from anywhere else.

Importing. Even now, when it's gone all weird.

Jah bless NTSC, long live bordersdown. Big up to Charles too- I don't know how he manages it.
                          Last edited by endo; 12-10-2011, 08:22.

Comment

endo an era

[HIDE]I am so sorry for that.[/HIDE]

Comment

Quick someone do a Dale Farm and stop them from changing over! Chain prinnysquad to the gates and VP can booby trap the server...

Sad to see it go, so much water under the bridge and a lot of bad times. One day maybe I'll write a book about it...

But also there were too many good times to mention:

- having the fortune to mix with some great staff members who've worked on the site over the years. And one bat**** mental one who was utterly hilarious despite the inevitable wheels coming off the train...

- the NTSC-uk Rox0rs your b0x0rs 419 scammer photo

- Andy and his PM's

- Team-GRAWsome having to put up with heavy breathing, teabagging minor celebs, constant throat clearing, the developing saga of just where Spags and Paulos' wife were when Mr G was occupied online, upsetting the vicar during afternoon tea, the stern mistresses causing several gaming geeks to go weak at the knees, and all topped off with the sheer joy of 60 minute defend that wouldn't be possible without the determination of forum members

- Daragon and his battery issues

- Rockball updates

- the ups and downs (and tantrums) in the Relationship thread

- Review-gate (pick one!)

Comment

Thhheeeee Edge threads!

Comment

Working...
                                X