Is this a good TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a good TV?

Sony Trinitron KV-M1400U... I can get one of these cheap. Any experiences with it? I'll be usng it for PS1/PS2.
    Last edited by Breadboy; 27-10-2010, 09:07.

Well, via RGB SCART it should be perfect. So er, if it has a SCART slot - get it.

Comment

A TV of that size may not accept an NTSC composite signal, I have a 14" or so Trinitron that does not. With RGB you'll be rocking though.

Comment

Yes, it has a SCART socket, and I didn't plan on using composite anyway since it's crap in my experience. All of my games are NTSC.

And would the picture quality be any better than a 14" Philips set?

Comment

Originally posted by Breadboy View Post
          Yes, it has a SCART socket, and I didn't plan on using composite anyway since it's crap in my experience. All of my games are NTSC.

And would the picture quality be any better than a 14" Philips set?
          the sony trinitrons are usually regarded as the best retro gaming tvs. RGB output is spot on

I use a 14" version myself and it is the best TV for interlaced signals, that i have used, period

only downside of mine is that it only outputs mono, so i have to link up an audio splitter and stereo speakers

make sure you go in to the service menu, when you are confident enough and tweak the geometry to reduce overscan - otherwise you'll lose part of the picture
          Last edited by dvdx2; 27-10-2010, 10:28.

Comment

OK, good to know. Is there any way to correct the issue of the picture shifting to the left with SCART?

Comment

Geometry.

Comment

This is the same TV I just picked up the other week. Like someone already pointed out it can't take a NTSC signal that isn't RGB, and the picture does need adjusting. Apart from that it's decent and the picture is sharp. F-Zero on the Gamecube looks mindblowingly sharp on it.

If anyone knows how to get into the service menu, do share as I can't find the info online.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                  Geometry.
                  Ah, so it's the same issue to which dvdx2 referred?

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
                  This is the same TV I just picked up the other week. Like someone already pointed out it can't take a NTSC signal that isn't RGB, and the picture does need adjusting. Apart from that it's decent and the picture is sharp. F-Zero on the Gamecube looks mindblowingly sharp on it.

If anyone knows how to get into the service menu, do share as I can't find the info online.
                  Nice to hear. Any issue with the screen "bulging" inwards when displaying NTSC?

And that service menu access information is going to be vital if I get this... I don't want to have a partially non-visible image, since I assume that this is all going to be in the service menu.

Comment

What do you mean by bulging?

Comment

The sides of the screen curving inwards... the Philips set that I had did this on an NTSC image, and on any dark images that it displayed.

Comment

I have not noticed anything like that, but I'm not as anal about my picture as some others around here.

Comment

OK. But I really need that service menu information if I'm going to get this...

Comment

Originally posted by Breadboy View Post
                            OK. But I really need that service menu information if I'm going to get this...
                            i think all sonys use the same service menu. My 14" trinitron is the same as my 36HQ100

i have it home and let you know tomorrow

Comment

Only thing about the Sony's is they have 'that' line across them (something to do with the aperture grille on Trinitrons), and it is present on all Trinitron screens.- drove me mad when I tried one. The alternative is a decent Panasonic from that era. Superb picture and also a popular choice - mine is still going strong after 20 years...

Comment

Working...
                              X