Are you ready to STONER RAWK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annual update!

Sorry this post is so video-intesive, this is months of research collated into one post!
    I've used the spoiler tag to make it a little easier to navigate.

First up, I'm getting mega-excited for the new album by The Sword called Apocryphon. There's loads of special editions like coloured vinyl and this amazing black light poster. This clip shows it being made and has a snippet of one of the new tracks on it:
    [hide][/hide]

I've been checking out a blog called Stonerobixxx that has some great suggestions and each month he does a compilation that is a great way to discover new bands. He has a YouTube channel called ObeyTheRiff too.

There are also a lot of great artists on Bandcamp in their stoner section.

Right, let's see what I can remember!

I've been really impressed with Black Moth, who sound like a modern Black Sabbath with a female singer. I can't wait to see them on tour in October with Turbowolf.
    [hide][/hide]

I love the debut EP by Dead Branches, it's just a shame it's only three tracks long. I can't wait to hear more by them. It's free on Bandcamp. "Jump Into The Well" is immense and goes insane at the two minute mark!
    [hide][/hide]

For slightly heavier riffage, I've been headbanging to the crushing sound of SardoniS. I love this track, "Thor", from their first album, but they've just released a second one. I didn't think it was scientifically possible for a mere two men to make this amount of metal.
    [hide][/hide]

Staying with the slightly heavier stuff for a moment, Tank 86 have got some great crunchy riffs in their album.
    [hide][/hide]

For a Kyuss-type desert sound, I've been impressed with Het Droste Effect.
    [hide][/hide]

Snail have a new album out called Terminus and they remind me a lot of Black Label Society.
    [hide][/hide]

Maria isn't a Virgin Anymore is an awkward band name, but they do a great line in Belgian post-rock instrumental tunes.
    This one's a slow burner, but it's a great journey.
    [hide][/hide]

Albatross Overdrive have a great album full of Southern States rock that's a real easy listen from start to finish, y'all.
    I love this track, "Bad Mama Jama" and actually laughed out loud at 2:47
    [hide][/hide]

Fuzzly also do a great line in QOTSA desert rock.
    [hide][/hide]

This video to "Wires" by Red Fang is pretty cool.
    [hide][/hide]

Lord 13 are great to drive to and their back catalogue is free on their website. Similar sound to Orange goblin, whose singer guests on one track.
    [hide][/hide]

Talking of Orange Goblin, I've mentioned it before, but the new album , A Eulogy for the Damned, is great. I love this ode to John Carpenter's The Fog.
    [hide][/hide]

Sasquatch have got that classic Stoner fuzz sound just right.
    [hide][/hide]

Maeth have a great free album with a progressive slant called Horse Funeral that you can get for free from Bandcamp.
    [hide][/hide]

Oh blimey, I think that'll do for now, won't it? I've been at this for hours and I need to go to bed.
    Besides, who's going to read this aside from ikobo and Skull Commander?

Comment

Awesome work my man. I'll have to work my way through it later as i'm listening to all the stuff I bought in an itunes rampage last night.

Comment

A few more suggestions.

The Sword's new album, Apocryphon is out now and is great!
        I can't wait to see them on tour next January.
        [hide][/hide]

With Apocryphon came a flyer for some other bands, the best of which is a brilliant French band called Glowsun.
        Check out this video of them playing the Duna festival on a beach - looks immense!
        Fave track off the latest album, Eternal Seasons, is called "Reverse", which you can hear about 4:12 into the video
        [hide][/hide]

Also worth checking out are My Sleeping Karma and Monkey3.

[hide][/hide]

[hide][/hide]

Comment

New album by The Atomic Bitchwax has dropped.

Comment

Working...
          X