The Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are going to love those.

I did a flat out ride recently on my hardtail with superfast Panaracer razer XC tyres (no grip basically). I took me 1h05m.

I did the same yesterday on my Remedy, taking it easy and with a DH tyre on the front. I assumed it was going to be REALLY slow. 1h11m
    Only 6 mins slower. Next time I'll try it flat out. I'm interested to see how much slower the tyre is. If it's only 1 minute or so then I might use it at the QECP gravity enduro next weekend.

Comment

Yeah I will, must buy a shock pump first.

On my way home last night, felt a right numpty, had my first major off the bike.

Was going too fast to be honest, turning to go round a corner and the front wheel just went sideways and grazed my right elbow. This was on a gravel pathway.

Not impressed at all with the schwalbe nobby nic tyre, at times the front end feels sketchy like its going to slide out , not grip enough etc.

Think I might go back to the bontrager xr4 tyre on the front.

Comment

Having not rode or owned a road bike (or racer as I call them) for at least 30 years, and spurned on by watching the 'Le Tour' on tv, I thought its about time I bought myself some wheels ... and frame etc etc.

Admitedly it was very cheap, but I did'nt want to spend too much on a bike only to find my interest was a passing phase. Just need to buy myself a helmet, clip-in pedals, cleats, shoes and stabilisers.

Comment

I bet even cheap racers are really amazing these days. Certainly looks the business!

Comment

Well I've been riding on a old, cheap Specialized mountain bike which is quite heavy, so my first ride on the Carrera was such a stark contrast. It felt like I was going to break the land speed record!

Comment

Nice, I've seen a few of those bikes around.

I thought about getting a road bike but I don't have enough interest in it to make it worth while buy.

I probably should get a road or hybrid for my riding to and from work, had a few looks from the roadies for being on a mtb.

A lad at work sometimes rides his orange 5 to work and back they are a heavy beast.

Been looking at a full suss from canyon a entry level nerve al+ the 2014 models are only 650b now.

One thing I've been looking at after seeing other day spd pedals for mtb, really want to try them out but had flats for a long time.

Comment

Unless you are going nuts downhill, spds are great. Even elite DH guys use spds too, but that scares me. I chop and change depending on what sort of mood I'm in, i.e. if there's a chance of losing it and needing to dab, I'll go flat. You have to be careful when you get air with spds because there's a temptation to pull up with the legs which will lead to over rotation and faceplant.

Comment

I think for time being and being cheaper might try some new/different pins in my nano flats.

I was on way to work and saw a few guys riding to work on mtbs using spd pedals, i was intrigued how quicker you can pedal.

I've been losing my footing on the pedals a few times at traffic lights and on hill climb on way home.

maybe I need some more gripper trainers/ skate shoes ?

I've also fitted some rockshox rebas to my bike.
                  Last edited by wod; 16-08-2013, 10:47.

Comment

During my intended 20 mile ride on Sunday, I got to about 6 miles when the following happened ...

Yes, that the darailluer hanging off!

I was going up an incline, so I dropped it down a few gears, heard a rattling sound, then the next thing I knew I was going A over T off the bike, and luckily, into the grass verge alongside the road. Closer inspection shows that the derailleur completely sheard off, and then went into my spokes, locking the wheel straight away. As I was wearing 'clip ins', it was'nt a pleasent experience!!

So after getting picked up by my support vehicle (my wife in her car). I took the bike back to Halfords, in a rather unpleasent mood. The manager of the cycle section apologised profusely, and offered me a brand new TDF, which I quickly rebuffed. So after a quick look around the shop, I chose the following, which by the way of an apology by them, was a bike that was ?130 more than one I previously bought. They even added a new cage and bottle too.

Yet to have a big ride on it, so I'm hoping the weather is decent this coming weekend.

Comment

I went out for a ride on Sun. with a couple of roadies. I've just fitted some 1" gatorskin tyres to my Cannondale MTB which are so much better than any semi-slicks I've tried in the past but the roadies left me for dust on the downhills.
                      They didn't stand a chance though on the climbs.
                      Ended up doing 35 miles in 2 hrs

I'm thinking about going to full 700c if I can find a set with disc hubs for a decent price.

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                        I went out for a ride on Sun. with a couple of roadies. I've just fitted some 1" gatorskin tyres to my Cannondale MTB which are so much better than any semi-slicks I've tried in the past but the roadies left me for dust on the downhills.
                        They didn't stand a chance though on the climbs.
                        Ended up doing 35 miles in 2 hrs

I'm thinking about going to full 700c if I can find a set with disc hubs for a decent price.
                        Yeah I've gone up hills easier on my mtb than I would on a road bike with having 11-36 ratio gears its slightly easier compared to a road bike running a cassette in either 11-28 or 11-32.

I'm riding to work and back 4 days a week and thinking of converting my hard tail mtb to run easier on roads but wonder if i will end up with 3 bikes in the end a hybrid, hard tail mtb and a full suspension that I've wanted for a while.

Or I could run two wheel sets on the hard tail mtb ?

Comment

Originally posted by wod View Post
                          Or I could run two wheel sets on the hard tail mtb ?
                          With disc brakes it should be no problem. That it what I intend to do.
                          The Cannondale has a head shock which can be locked out and with road tyres weighs next to nothing.

I've seen a Shimano wheel set for around ?100. I guess these will be hybrid level quality.

Comment

Still plodding along on my Ridgeback Supernova (posted about earlier in the thread). After 2-3 months of ownership I'm pleased to say it's still as good a ride as the day I bought it. The shaped grips no longer bother me so I haven't bothered changing them and flipping the pedal over hasn't become an issue now I'm used to it either so now BMX monstrosities yet.

When there's a really smooth road I still appreciate how nice it feels to ride and especially how light it is after riding steel/aluminum MTB for a decade!

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                              With disc brakes it should be no problem. That it what I intend to do.
                              I've seen a Shimano wheel set for around ?100. I guess these will be hybrid level quality.
                              yeah I run disc brakes so they would need to be compatible.

I would also need to run two chains too I guess to match the rear cassette on each wheel set.

The way home I ride is down side of a canal which is a bit rough gravel though so I'm currently running racing Ralph tyres for some grip and not too much drag on Tarmac.

Comment

Originally posted by wod View Post
                                yeah I run disc brakes so they would need to be compatible.

I would also need to run two chains too I guess to match the rear cassette on each wheel set.

The way home I ride is down side of a canal which is a bit rough gravel though so I'm currently running racing Ralph tyres for some grip and not too much drag on Tarmac.
                                I would keep the cassette the same on both wheelsets e.g. 8/9/10 speed on both.
                                I'd guess there would be enough movement of the d?railleur to keep the tension for a different set of ratios as an MTB set would have the biggest ratio range. I'd assume if it can cope with that then a close ratio road set would be no issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X