PDA

View Full Version : If you buy films regularly....

charlesr
02-07-2009, 08:44 AM
How often do you watch them on average?

Do you buy everything and just watch it once and then stick it on the shelf, perhaps to be watched again, or do you only buy films you watch 4 or 5 times? etc.

noobish hat
02-07-2009, 08:52 AM
I don't buy films that often, but if I like something, I will watch it many times. My favourite films I've probably seen at least 10 times. My girlfriend though is quite annoying in this respect because even stuff she loves, she'll only ever watch it once, maybe twice, but that to her is a lot. I've seen a lot of films I don't even like more than once! So anyway, I've totally given up on ever buying her another dvd cos it's a waste.

Malc
02-07-2009, 08:57 AM
I only have a very small collection of movies, so I tend to watch them quite a bit. Voted for 3 times.

Number45
02-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Just one. I have DVDs that I haven't watched yet, despite owning them for years.

Malc
02-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Just one. I have DVDs that I haven't watched yet, despite owning them for years.

Think of all the money you could have saved by buying them a few years later when you actually wanted to watch them. DVD's are a few quid these days.

Number45
02-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Yeah I know mate. I have even more games that I've never played. :hmm:

I've been better since Blu-Ray though, typically buying one at a time.

Soundwave
02-07-2009, 09:32 AM
It really depends on the movie to be honest.

I buy all the movies I want to watch & I may watch it once & put it in the rack never to be seen again but I may like the film so much that I can watch it over & over.

Examples of films I watch over & over would be...

Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Sin City
Dark Knight
Transformers
Thing

But honestly I'd say as an average over all of my collection then I do tend to watch only once.

Neil

Concrete donkey
02-07-2009, 09:35 AM
I have a fairly large collection of films. A few films I've watched four or five times if not more. I watch my favourites like Leon at least once a year. Some lesser known films I watch on my own first then watch it several other times with different groups of friends and family. Most I've only watched once, maybe twice and theres one or two I just havn't seen yet. An average doesn't really potray my viewing habits accuratly, but I'll say 3.

Geoff D
02-07-2009, 09:44 AM
I'e voted 3, but that's for keepers - anything I blind-buy which i don't like (or think I would watch again) gets sold or traded.

02-07-2009, 09:51 AM
I don't buy films at all to tell you the truth. I'm subscribed to Sky with all the movie channels so I will get to see most of the main stream movies sooner or later. Also a lot of my friends pass me their movies to watch. In fact i hardly ever go to the cinema either, so I don't really contribute much to the movie industry.

But if i did purchase a movie, it would be because i genuinly like it, but as my time is limited these days, as i like to keep busy doing one thing or another. I'll probably watch it once or twice.

I have to admit though, i prefer my movies on my computer, as its literally a few clicks away when the mood strikes. Where as on a DVD, you'd hafta find the DVD, take the disc out, wait for it to boot up, navigate the menus......... etc. May be signs of laziness, but that much faffing around deters me from watching certain movies, kind of the same with games sometimes..........

112 :)

eastyy
02-07-2009, 10:38 AM
i tend to watch them over and over...will watch the extras and listen to the commentarys to

Number45
02-07-2009, 10:40 AM
will watch the extras and listen to the commentarys to
And I never watch extras on films I buy (Unless they have some awesome shorts on them, like Jack-Jack Attack!). As long as it's a film I like and the audio and video is sound, I'll buy it.

I did watch a directors commentary of the final scene of Jeepers Creepers, to work out what the **** it was about. It didn't help.

Brats
02-07-2009, 11:12 AM
I stopped buying films a few years ago. Now I just watch them via Virgin or the 360 rental service. I realised that a huge number of films I was just watching once. It's why I haven't bothered with a Blu-Ray player.

Looking forward to Microsoft's on demand 1080p service :).

tomato
02-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Films - two or three times usually, classics like the first Star Wars films aside.

TV programmes I can watch over and over again.

Miguel007
02-07-2009, 02:15 PM
I voted for one, at the moment I have a big backlog of titles - I tend to pick DVD's up really cheap, never buy on initial release unless it's something spectacular. I will watch my fave films more than once, although when I have an outstanding list to watch I will focus my time on them.

buster_broon
02-07-2009, 02:53 PM
another vote for one

it really depends on the movie, specific movies I've lost count of the amount of times i've watched them:
Star wars trilogy
back to the future trilogy
lord of the rings trilogy
naked gun movies
aliens quad
hellboy movies
big trouble in little china (most watched movie)

i will quite happily flick through a movie just to watch the good parts

cutmymilk
02-07-2009, 03:31 PM
I have over a hundred DVDs I've not yet watched so once if you're lucky!

Also have about 20 blu rays that need watching and a ton of games that haven't been out of the box. I have an addiction.

PeteJ
02-07-2009, 03:42 PM
I stopped buying films a few years ago. Now I just watch them via Virgin or the 360 rental service. I realised that a huge number of films I was just watching once. It's why I haven't bothered with a Blu-Ray player.

Looking forward to Microsoft's on demand 1080p service :).
Exactly the same here. I have so many films I've either only watched once or never at all. I was probably buying five or six a week a few years back, now I haven't bought a single film since...The Departed.

MisterBubbles
02-07-2009, 03:50 PM
when i was younger i had a lot of free time on my hands plenty gaming and bought videos, i purchased Empire strikes back for 80 quid i watched it every day for about a year sometimes twice a day, so i must be in the 1000's now, if i like a film i'll watch it loads.

Malavon
03-07-2009, 11:44 AM
I used to buy quite a few cheap dvds from ebay (the usual comedy/action stuff; bad boys, fast and the furious, beverly hills cop, etc) but I only ever paid £2-£3 at the most for each of them and before having a mass clear out (in which all were sold) I must have watched them each at least ten times. Back then I would almost always have something on in the background.

The only DVDs I kept were Firefly (seen the complete series maybe four times now), Serenity (three, maybe four times) and all three of the LOTR extended editions which I must have seen dozens of times each (if you include commentaries and special features). They're basically my "comfort" dvds, if I ever just want to stick something on while I need to work, am bored or can't find anything else to watch while I eat, I'll just stick those on. It's amazing just how much content is on each of those dvds. The film and special features must be close to ten hours for each dvd.

Edit: Actually, nowadays if I ever feel the urge to watch something I'll most likely just download it. At the moment I have 21 films on my PC and about 40gb worth of tv programs. It would be more but I recycle as I go (until I buy a bigger HD next week). I also used to have tons of football matches (classic and recent) downloaded but again, my 260gb HD just wasn't big enough to store them all without recycling.

Getting a 640gb HD next week though so my current one will be exclusively used for football matches (I download every Arsenal match in HD rather than going to the pub or paying for sky as they're usually available just an hour or two after the game ends) and have access to loads of classic matches.

Incidently, piracy is bad ;)