The Snooker thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Snooker thread

Gets going in less than an hour. I don't miss much snooker and I'm pretty excited!

Will the rocket behave! Century breaks a plenty!

Anyone else excited?
    Last edited by VR46; 16-12-2008, 19:25.

I'll watch some of the latter rounds for sure, good thing to have on in the background while doing other stuff

Comment

If I was in the UK I'd probably watch all of it.

Does whispering Ted Lowe still commentate?

Comment

Hes long gone..so has Vine. My friend and I wrote a letter to vine but he never replied. Higgins and Stevens at the moment. I've got it on in background..doing a mr Holliss trying to work out where we're going to watch the fight!

Comment

That's too bad. Surely his voice suited his sport better than any commentator ever.

Just looked at the world rankings on sportinglife.com . Surprised to see a few names from the 80s still in it, like James Wattana and Tony Drago.

Comment

I love Drago and Wattana! Just switched to table two. Aussie Robertson is 3-0 over the aging bond.

Comment

Oh and for those who haven't experienced the Crucible, this is going to be your last chance. It is pretty magical. Its so silent and the atmosphere is amazing.

Comment

Uh? Is it moving?

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                  Uh? Is it moving?
                  Aye, I was almost in tears......

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowDancer View Post
                    Century breaks a plenty!
                    It always surprises me that snooker watchers like seeing century breaks. For me a gritty, nerve-wracking battle of safety shots and snookers is far more exciting.

Comment

Higgins v. Stevens should be good. I'd like to see Ding do well too, he's really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Stroppy View Post
                        It always surprises me that snooker watchers like seeing century breaks. For me a gritty, nerve-wracking battle of safety shots and snookers is far more exciting.
                        Don't get me wrong, watching a tactical frame is brilliant, especially one that requires endurance and patience. But i would be lieing if i said i didn't like watching the players make a gold old fashioned century.

Just looking at the draw again as its always a lot to take it. Plenty to look forward to.

EDIT

I'm sure if i started my original posted with..tactical frames a plenty..it might of been misconstrued as sarcasm! Even my dad as a seasonal watcher enjoys tactical frames.

I don't need to document that its well known that 90% of players look to win the frame in one visit and play attacking. Some earlier than others. But i do agree with you, a good tactical battle is a beautiful thing. Expect any player who plays Davis to have little chance but to be drawn in to one as thats pretty much his style now.
                        Last edited by ShadowDancer; 19-04-2008, 12:22.

Comment

It's looking dodgy for the sporting titan that is Nigel Bond at the moment.

Comment

It does. I've always liked Bond..i remember when he came onto the scene at a similar time to ebdon. I think you can get 7's and 8's on Robertson, Murphy and Maguire. I'm thinking of having a tenner on each. O'Sullivan is favourite but he lacks consistency. Even as an English man, i like Hendry, i don't think he is capable tho anymore.

Loads will unfold after the first week. Outside bet is Docherty at 25's. There are a few Asian players that i know little about. I think O'Sullivan faces one in his first game.

The less said about his recent antics the better. A friend sent me the link to the Guardian website. I laughed. Its nuts. But its not right.

Comment

I've never supported people just because they were English, in Snooker. Don7t know why. In the 80s I always supported Cliff Thorburn and Bill Wernenicks as well as Jimmy White and the Golden Nugget, then in the 90s supported Nigel Bond after hoping he'd win a final against Hendry (can't remember which year, but he was 5-3 up, then lost 10-5).

Wasn't having a dig with the century breaks comment - it's just that nearly all snooker watchers seem to like them. I could understand it more in the 80s, when 147s were a rarity, but now it seems less exciting. Even commentators seem to describe the tactical frames as scrappy, and seem disappointed.

Think I'll have a frame or too on World Snooker Challenge tonight.

Comment

Working...
                              X