StarWars KOTOR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StarWars KOTOR

Its recieving excellent feedback from a number of publications, GMR gave it a perfect score, checkout the impressions.

Ok, since I just got back from eating a yummy meal, I am no longer shaking with hunger, and am able to type coherently. Consider that I know my way around a Final Fantasy game or two. IMO, the FF formula has gotten increasingly stale (new hero, new ways of calling summons summons, slightly new battle system, etc.). There's no discounting the high quality of Final Fantasy games, but are they all that much fun? Or just wondrous to experience?

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is wondrous AND fun. KOTOR is, among other things:

1) Huge.

You aren't even a Jedi for the first ten hours or so, because you've been trying to rescue Bastilla, a Jedi warrior who's been captured. By completing all the side quests (you gain experience for talking to people) you become strong by leveling up. Since there's no time limit, it behooves you to embark on all the side quests, and in doing so, adds valuable allies to your party, and enables you to discover key weapons and armor that you wouldn't have found if you hadn't taken those quests.

Plus, once you've gotten through about 20% of the game, you then discover that you must travel to at least four new worlds. HUGE.

2) It's never boring.

Unlike many RPGs where the standard fetch quests make you feel like somebody's messenger boy, all the side quests (even settling a Romeo and Juliet-like war between two families) in KOTOR are enjoyable and worth doing just for the experience, not just the experience points.

3) Battle system rocks.

It's not quite real-time, it's not quite turn-based. It's somewhere inbetween. You choose your own actions, and can "stock" a sequence of actions (such as perform a regular attack, powerful attack, throw grenade, and then heal, in that order), leaving you free to cycle to one of your main character's two available allies to use their particular skills as well. If you choose to let them handle themselves, you can also program their strategies, such as setting Bastilla the Jedi to use Jedi skills (speed up, heal, push-back attack) until her Force points deplete. You can also have droids or warriors use their best abilities (grenadier, droid attack, etc.) to support you in battles.

4) Customization is king.

Being able to see, on the real in-game model, the outfits you assign to them, as well as the weapons and accessories, KOTOR takes on a very Diablo II-like style (or if you prefer, Neverwinter Nights) feel. Assigning items to different body parts is made easy thanks to the largely visual equip screen. You can also upgrade specifica armors and weapons, and even enhance your lightsaber with different crystals.

5) Branching paths.

Obviously, it's up to you whether you choose the light side or the dark side, but it is in your actions and deeds that determines this path. A staggering amount of conversations take place, and almost all of them have meaning.

Unlike Final Fantasy, where NPCs (non-player characters) usually have one or two trite lines of inconsequential hoo-ha to say, in KOTOR you actually have conversations. Sure there are a lot of NPCs with nothing to really add to your experience, but that ratio is kept slim compared to the amount of people who do. Since you get experience for furthering the story, it's in your best interest in both the experience gaining sense and the information-gathering sense to be as verbose as possible. There's a payoff there that most other RPGS simply don't have. The fact that the script is unbelievably well-written helps things. To be quite honest, KOTOR has some of the wittiest dialogue I've ever seen in an RPG.

And since I'm 32 years old, I can say that I've seen 'em all. Oh, and I'm currently playing my way towards the Dark side, and let me just say that the options in the dialogue become a lot funnier when you're evil. Fortunately, since the game was designed this way, you're not quite penalized for playing towards the Dark side. Your companions remain unaware of your leanings except by noting how impatient you seem, or how much danger you're in of being persuaded by the Dark side.

As soon as I'm done with the game as a Dark side-type, I'll play through again as a goody two shoes. While a couple things could make the experience a little smoother (interface things, mostly), it's nothing worth griping over, which leads me back to my original point:

Best. RPG. Ever?

Maybe.
    I'd like to go on record and state how completely off my radar KOTOR was up until the time I put it in my Xbox. I saw the screens, and wondered just how interesting it could be, and basically paid it no mind. I have been completely unaware of the "hype," and have had zero hands-on time with it prior to having played the reviewable. I hadn't even seen the game in action, and was really only aware of the game's progress because of the Bioware connection.

But having played it, I can say that I was completely unprepared for how awesome it turned out to be. Next week, you'll all be able to find out for yourselves, and that's when the message boards will really be worth watching.

And no, I did not mean the best RPG on Xbox. Don't put ****ing words in my mouth, thanks. One of the best RPGs I've ever played, and certainly the best I've played in the last five years or so. Only Skies of Arcadia comes close.
    So who's looking foward to it? I have mine pre-ordered, just like to know how fast Goblin Direct ship new games.

****, wrong forum. Can someone shift this thread over to Gaming Discussion?

Sorry

Comment

I havent pre-ordered it as SW games of late have been very hit and miss. Feedback so far seems good but I will wait to hear impressions from people on here before buying. It does look very promising though.

Comment

While I do enjoy the SW setting that isn't what will move me into buying this game without needing to see a single review, Bioware are. The RPG work they produced on the P.C was simply outstanding, and along with Black Isle they are credited by many for completly reinvigorating the genre.

I won't have the cash to pick it up right away so will have to gorge myself on others' impressions as I scrape together the pennies ( cue violin music ), but the XBox desperatly needs a release this solid IMO.

Comment

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan. But BioWare have an excellent track records. They've worked on some of my favourite PC RPGs - in fact there RPGs come second only to the mighty Ultima series (discoutning 8 and 9!!).

I can't wait

Comment

Every Star Wars game since 1997 has been rubbish so I'll wait for impressions.

Not only that, the current weather climate is telling me not to bother with an RPG.

Comment

I'm going to the States on Sunday, so will be picking up a copy when it's released, and shall be reviewing it for this here site as soon as I get back

Comment

Originally posted by GrimBlade
                I'm going to the States on Sunday, so will be picking up a copy when it's released, and shall be reviewing it for this here site as soon as I get back
                punk, you taking your Xbox with you? 70 KGs boy, remember thats the LIMIT!

Comment

Well, it's pre-order only already where I am (in NYC), but I'm sure americans are going to buy anything if it has the star wars name on it.

(Mental note: pre-order later )

Comment

is this a Live enabled game? If so are there any impressions of that side?

Comment

Downloadable content is supported, but apparently this is just to leave any enhancements that the P.C version might recieve on release or in the future open to XBox users, there's no multiplayer to speak of.

Comment

Its stunning. Absolutely incredible. Singularly the best and most important western RPG since the first ultima.

This could be as significant as halo in influencing developers (east and west) in my humble opinion.

For once believe the asinine hyperbole of the forums.

Comment

I've been on the Bioware forums for the past few weeks (lerking ), and it really sounds like they've done a fantastic job. When you read comments by the team (official comments or otherwise), you always get the impression that they love gaming, and have really enjoyed developing KoTOR.

I have mine preordered, and expect very big things. Probably the most important Xbox game until Halo 2.

Comment

Originally posted by gozaimas
                            Its stunning. Absolutely incredible. Singularly the best and most important western RPG since the first ultima.

This could be as significant as halo in influencing developers (east and west) in my humble opinion.

For once believe the asinine hyperbole of the forums.
                            Wicked. Can you give us some more impressions

Comment

Got mine pre-ordered.
                              I'm going to go over to Bioware forums now to have a looksie

This may seem a strange question but is there a "world map" as such?

Comment

Working...
                              X