Games so bad that they're great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games so bad that they're great

The conflict desert storm ending thread on the rllmuk forum made me realise, i actually enjoy that game because of it's crapness not in spite of it. I love the terrible looking vehicles, awful blood splats and ropey dialogue. it gives the game loads of charm>

House of the Dead 2 was made great by it's unbelievably bad script, and NHL 2K3 is made hilarious by it's ridiculous graphics and pared down gameplay.

What others?

Biohazard's amazingly cliched storyline, and hammy, badly acted script? So cheesy and yet so alluring..

Comment

Although Altered Beast is terrible I've still found myself playing it on the odd occassion to laugh at the animation and shoddy speech.

RISE FWOM YOUR GWAVE
      Thanks to the retro forum for reminding me of that.

Comment

The voice acting on HOTD2 is dire, but fits in with the B-movie vibe.

Comment

the stealth gameplay of fifa 2003. I hate it but i love it conditionally (condition is 3 mates)

Comment

Evil Zone, for sure.

Unintentionally hilarious.

--Ed

Comment

if its actually amasingly crap i wont bother, but i can understand where your coming from with biohazzard, i know whats going to happen.... I just want to see it for my self!!!

Comment

Superman 64 is still a running joke in NGC, about five years since its release. It's reached quite a celebrity status, what with the monthly "Lex Luthor's Solve My Maze" section.

I think one competition-winner even requested it as their prize game!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed-Epistaxis
                  Evil Zone, for sure.

Unintentionally hilarious.

--Ed
                  Someone else who knows the cheeseiness of Evil Zone!

For those not in the know, think of a manga fighting game translated from Japanese into French into English.

The single player modes are presented like a bad manga show complete with 'next week' monologues at the end of each fight.

One fighter has a B-Grade Power Rangers style plot, another a love story.

If you see this one cheap you must pick it up.

Comment

If anybody ever played Joe Blade on the Amiga, then they'll know why I'm nominating it. I borrowed it off a friend, after being taken in by his assurances that it was excellent, and the slightly dynamic name of the protagonist.

Hnnnng.

I snapped his Body Blows disks to teach him a lesson, being the vindictive bastard that I am...

@))-------------
                    The Corrupt Rose

Edit: Obviously I'm a moron, as I forgot that I had to mention a crap game that I liked. Many apologies.

Comment

Gungage on the PSX, got bad reviews but I really like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Typhoon Thompson
                        I have this at home and I haven't loaded it up yet. What's it like then?

Comment

Originally posted by tssk
                          Originally posted by Typhoon Thompson
                          I have this at home and I haven't loaded it up yet. What's it like then?
                          Gungage aged really badly IMO. It uses FPS controls, and it works to an extent, but you'll complete it on your 2nd or 3rd go, and after that, you won't really feel any need to play it again despite the hidden characters and flower collecting quest. It tries to look like Panzer Dragoon, but it doesn't have nearly enough pollish, and the action only occasionally ever reaches a pace that could be called exciting. It's a novelty, and nothing more.

Games so bad they're good then. If you mean voice acting, then I hang onto Deep Fear purely for that reason. "Bad" just doesn't even begin to describe the depravity of the dialogue in that game. It seems to me that the "actors" were just trying it on with the director, and seeing how badly they could read their lines and get away with it. There's one guy who I think is supposed to be French, but he sounds like someone putting on a comedy camp voice. Just totally insane.

Not quite the fault of the game, but I bought Heroes of The Lance for the Master System once for ?2. Played it for 15 minutes and felt really ripped off. (You know a game is bad when you feel done out of two quid.) Just for kicks, I decided to see what people thought of this game on GameFAQs. Well, it seems that if I thought the Master System version was bad, it's nothing compared to the NES version. Reading the GameFAQs forum about it, I found pages of debate about whether or not it was worse than Hydlide, fanfictions about people braving the horrors of naked dwarfs to reach the end of the game, the obligatory "who would win in a fight between... " threads, and other such amusing HotL related nonsense. So in a bizarre way, I actually did get my ?2's worth, because I wouldn't have found that entertaining forum had I not bought the game.

Later.

Comment

Bishi Bashi would be the obvious one, in that the games when you strip them down, are actually pretty ****, but for some reason are infinitely playable and enjoyable. Especially the afro PERM game.

WCW/NWO Thunder on the PSX, A mate and I used to get good laughs out of listening to and watching the wrestlers 'rants', a short video of them talking BS. One was Alex Wright, some german wrestler who got himself a bad gimmick, he said that, ' the germans, vill show you, vhat wictory, is all about!'

Comment

Parappa the Rapper.

It was oh so bad....yet oooooooh so good!

Comment

Working...
                              X