X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTCW... 1st downloadable level available tonight... June 5th

Hot dang! that was quick... heres IGNs take on it :

June 04, 2003 -

In a matter of hours Xbox Live subscribers will be able to download the first piece of new content for Activision's Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Tides of War. The new "Barn" map may have a silly name but beginning Thursday June 5, Axis and Allied soldiers will be able to run all game types through the new multiplayer map.

Barn is modeled after the ranch where Nerve vice president Chris Cummings grew up so you'll actually be calling air strikes down on a reasonable facsimile of a developer's childhood home. Just what you need to exact your revenge for every little criticism you have for the game you love. It's a smaller map designed to keep 6-8 players in close proximity to each other throughout most of the battle and comes complete with a functional barn! The smaller size will also help keep things running nice and smooth throughout a multiplayer battle.

Nerve president Brandon James had this to say:

It can be a faster paced experience, but once you learn the map, you'll really start creeping around the upper areas and catwalks, leading to a more methodical approach to the objective.
    While the outside areas are more open, you definitely can get into some close-quarters combat within the barn itself. I LOVE sneaking around through the cobwebs just waiting to spring into action with my shotgun against an unsuspecting enemy.

The Elimination game mode is an absolute blast on this map. Internally, we probably clocked more hours playing Elimination on "Barn" than any other map.

Why roll in the hay when you can BBQ?

There are at least two more multiplayer maps on the way for Xbox Live players to download and IGN will have more on them and Wolfenstein in the months to come. Check the media section for the first screens of the new level.

That was quick. Its good to see it get out so quickly. Should be fun.
    Thanks for the news, since this has passed me by.

Comment

Been playing this today... It can get very frantic in an around the barn and getting on the roof is pretty amazing.

It's a shame it's so dark though, makes it very hard to figure out who you're firing at (and the resultant friendly fire complaints).

Comment

Aye had a go pretty good

Hope at some point the objectives will change from just blow shiznit up and get documents.

Comment

Another thing is its only 8 blocks.... You'd think the whole level would be bigger than that it takes like half a second download it. Me thinks its just a key you download that unlocks the map thats already on the disc.

Comment

Its quite good fun, and great that they released a new map so soon.

And your right about it being too dark, there is a definite advantage playing as Axis in this one, their dark uniforms make them almost invisible outside the Barn.

I wonder if they will release another new map round about the time Soldier Of Fortune 2 is released.

Comment

Damn sounds good, but I don`t have BB yet
              I think I read in last months OXBOX mag that they may start doing down loads on the cover disc. Or was I dreaming, lost the mag at work.

Comment

It is just a key... the level is actually on the disc itself.

I took the liberty of FTPing into the disc while it was in my xbox to check what else was on there and guess what... there are another two multiplayer maps on there ready to go, all we need is the keys to the prize

The two new levels are called Chateau and Safe.

Comment

Working...
                X