US/UK cube memory card question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US/UK cube memory card question

are US and UK memory card saves compatible? I know that if a card is formatted as japanese, then US/UK cubes won't read it..

the reason i ask this is that a mate has painstakingly edited all the winning eleven players into english on his US cube (using a freeloader). I was hoping to copy that onto my memory card for my UK cube. will this work?

thanks in advance.

I got freeloader today, and it says that UK and US save games can exist on the same mem card, but JPN ones need to be kept seperate.

Comment

Japanese games are weird with memory cards.

some work fine on English (US/PAL) formatted cards.

some insist on Japanese formatted cards.

some insist on formatting the memory card every time they load, meaning you can't save your game. This is the case for Mr Driller: Drill Land.

Comment

That's not the question he's asking. He wants to know if you save a game on a US Cube, can you then load the save file into a UK cube. Now that's one question I don't believe has been covered yet. I know that saves from US versions of games cannot be loaded into UK versions of games (and vice versa) but I don't know how any of this is affected by Freeloader. My suspicion is no because it'll save it in US format, but give it a go and let us know!
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem
          That's not the question he's asking.
          I know, I was clarifying what mallet had said about Japanese formatted memory cards.

He wants to know if you save a game on a US Cube, can you then load the save file into a UK cube. Now that's one question I don't believe has been covered yet. I know that saves from US versions of games cannot be loaded into UK versions of games (and vice versa) but I don't know how any of this is affected by Freeloader. My suspicion is no because it'll save it in US format, but give it a go and let us know!
          Pal Metroid Prime and US Metroid Prime game saves look identical in the system menu, but are not compatible. A PAL and US Metroid Prime save can happily exist on the same card though.

It is still possible that some US / UK game saves are compatible with each other, in the same way a handful of Dreamcast game saves were universal (like Rez for example).

To elaborate on mallet's answer to anders' question, US and UK game saves can co-exist on the same English formatted card, so as long as you use the same region version of the game you should be able to copy and use the same game save.

Comment

To answer Mayhem more clearly: US and UK formatted memory cards are interchangeable - there are English formatted cards and Japanese formatted cards only.

This was covered by my posts in the original 'Freeloader hands on' thread, which was lost with the old board

Comment

Fact: you can have US and UK saves on the same memory card

Fact: US saves can't be played by UK games and vice versa

But the question here is above... if you play WE6FE Jap with Freeloader on a US Cube and save to the memory card... can you then play WE6FE Jap with Freeloader on a UK Cube and use the same save file? I believe not, but am waiting for someone to try it out...
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

But the question here is above... if you play WE6FE Jap with Freeloader on a US Cube and save to the memory card... can you then play WE6FE Jap with Freeloader on a UK Cube and use the same save file? I believe not, but am waiting for someone to try it out...
                As I said above, with Japanese titles it depends on the game

As you say, someone needs to try it

If you ran WE6FE with a freeloader on a US Cube and a UK Cube, you could share a game save between them if:

- it wrote to an English format memory card on both
                - or it wrote a Japanese format memory card on both
                - it didn't insist on formatting the memory card every time you played it on either machine

If the game wrote the save file to a different language memory card for each machine, you might still be able to transfer the save file with one of those usb connectable GC memory cards. Haven't used them though.

Comment

Working...
                X