What do you want from the new Tekken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you want from the new Tekken?

With news that Namco are working on another title in the Tekken series I wondered what you would like to see in the new game - assuming its not a ridiculous RPG-like spin off or something and is actually a typical fighting game of course.

Im not a fan of eneven, mutilayered environments so Id hope a more traditional approach is to be taken by Namco, fighters like Tekken should be all about the skill and intelligence used by the player in straight one-and-one combat and not be diluted by the ability to simply batter someone against a wall.

A new roster would be nice, although the charecters in the existing games are for the most part strong, it would be great to see a new set of fighters instead of prolonging the lifespan of existing ones by simply adding a few moves and making them look older. Anything you would like to see?

A decent a mount of new fighting styles would be nice. Tekken 4 gave us 2 (and a half) new styles which seemed a bit short handed.

Also, I would like to see Namco stick with its multi-layered, walled arenas and hopefully develop them more. Virtua Fighter has got the even playing field, technically sound combat game down to a tee, and it looks as though Tekken is unable to compete with it from a hardcore standpoint. Taking the series in the interactive arenas direction (yet still retaining some degree of technical proficiency wwhich I eprsonally feel the DOA games lack) could be a good way of differentiating itself from from VF whilst still developing a strong following.

Comment

Personally I would like to see more environment interaction and also damage in the form of bruises, cuts, clothes getting ripped, hair getting messed up etc etc

Comment

Personally i'd like to see a bit of gameplay stuck into the game.

But then again, i dont like Tekken :P

Comment

A kickarse new design for yoshimitsu is a must

I'd like to see it ditch the walled/caged in environments introduced in Tekken 4 and go back to never ending arenas. Just be a straight one on one fighter with no stupid gimmicks and retain the button layout from the first 4.

Comment

Id like to see a good scrolling beat em up using the Tekken characters. We are long over due a decent scrolling fighter.

Either that or more fighting styles.

Comment

I want Soul Calibur, just with a different name!

Comment

I'd like the series to end. It's barely evolved since the first installment whilst Virtua Fighter has consistently been refined and honed to perfection.

Comment

I completely agree Sidez. The game needs a real reform. It is a sub-standard beat-em-up. They need to offer more combos and techniques and make good use of the shoulder buttons.

They can keep the same characters and the same name, that will ensure its popularity. But let's try for some innovation in the series. Maybe higher quality and more consistency!

I have always found myself blown away once or twice then severly dissapointed in most places.

Mortal Kombat (almost) did it, why coudn't Namco with Tekken!

Comment

I'd like to see it revert back to the Tekken 2 -3 era, when it was in its prime, totally forget the walls. Do what Soul Calibur does and have walls and ringouts on the same level. I would like to see Jin back to normal n none of this karate version, that has abandoned the Mishima fighting style for sum stupid reason.

I think the game just needs a total overhaul, i don't think scrapping it is the answer, as at its core its a good game. It just seems to have lost its way slightly, they shud add more characters not the amount in Tekken Tag but more than in Tekken 4 as the rest of the characters don't interest me one bit. That's also wht i thought made Tekken stand out from Virtua Fighter(VF) which only had 13 characters. Wht made Tekken appealing ws it ws less tech than VF, but it just seems to have got silly with Tekken force, which in my opinion is just a waste of space

Comment

Edited when I realised how stupid my statement was

Comment

Originally posted by JU!
                        I'd like to see it revert back to the Tekken 2 -3 era, when it was in its prime, totally forget the walls. Do what Soul Calibur does and have walls and ringouts on the same level
                        Do you want walls or not. Please decide.

Originally posted by JU!
                        I would like to see Jin back to normal n none of this karate version, that has abandoned the Mishima fighting style for sum stupid reason.
                        This 'stupid reason' was because there was no need for a third character in the game to use the Mishima Fighting style. I'm glad Namco took the decision to move Jin in another direction, when Kazuya was rightfully returned to the series.

And this statement

Originally posted by JU!
                        I think the game just needs a total overhaul
                        is completely at odds with

Originally posted by JU!
                        I'd like to see it revert back to the Tekken 2 -3 era
                        Just felt that this thread was turning into 'let's all bash Tekken' rather than 'what do you want to see from Tekken' so decided to add some balance.

I liek T3kk3n

Comment

Its very cool to knock tekken at the moment.
                          I would actually like to see there being some environmental stuff but well integrated. More like the bumps of vf3 than the walls of doa.

Comment

There are too many fighters at the moment all fighting (ahem) for the same audience. If VF has got the hardcore 1vs1 audience sewn up, the I'd like to see Tekken take the bull by the horns and introduce something truly revolutionary along these lines:

- Proper 3D fighting, not using dodge up/down type moves. Along the lines that SC started to develop.

- Proper 4 player fighting, not just tag teams. IK+ did it successfully with three players, surely the current fighters can manage 4.

- A truly revolutionary fighting mechanic, with moves controlled at any part of the movement by the player and not by the motion capture animation. I'm talking about the ability to fake or cancel any move whilst halfway through the moves and launch into another move. Or allowing the player to use the analogue stick to control both pave and direction of moves (like the avenue Tobal 2 started to explore).

- The facility to design the look of a character as a blank canvass and then build up his abilities and train him with different moves, based on points earnt from winning championships and training games. A bit like the championship mode of Virtua Tennis 2.

Comment

I'd like more flowing animation, so it moves more realistically rather than chars seemingly floating around a stage. Tekken 4 was actually quite surprisingly enjoyable but the new characters were sorely lacking in the personality department, so I'd like them to improve in this area. I'd also enjoy more short combos which would make it easier for lame players such as myself to get into the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X