Red Dead Revolver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Dead Revolver

Distictly average so far with very lack lustre graphics. Lighting and pallette are nice but texture and models are nasty. There's a very strange effect going on in the game where everything to the side of the screen left and right is blurred in a kind of offset 3D-effect-without-the-glasses. My eyes hurt after a while.

I'm really enjoying this at the mo (but then, I'm a huge sucker for westerns).

It's obvious that the Xbox version is another lazy PS2 port, but visually its got some very nice touches in it. There's a huge amount of stuff to unlock and while it's pretty much Max Payne goes West, I'm finding it highly entertaining.

Comment

I got into it a little, but found it to have to many bugs in it for my liking. Stained with the foul stentch that is rockstar... lax coders....
      But i liked the spag wester feel though, a much better effort on that side of thinks than DMH, which was just utter pish!

Comment

Completed the ntsc version a few weeks back. Its increadibly short coming in at around under 6 hours. Levels too are short and i cant remember any level lasting over 30 minutes. You also get to play as a couple of other characters who handle exactly the same with only their weapons and dead eye changing. Bossess are increadibly poor too probaby the worst ive seen in ages. The actual gameplay can be quite fun but i felt some weird detatchement from it. Graphically too its a mixed bag. The grass on some levels is rather good however the canyon level is utterly dreadfull. Voice work is pretty good with enemies saying amusing things as they die. Theres no real difficulty curve to it with the whole thing staying pretty much the same in terms of difficulty throughout the game. Its distinctly average, worth it if you can get it cheap though but not worth 40 quid.

Comment

As much as it pains me to say, I actually enjoyed Dead Man's Hand in a sick and twisted kind of way. Everything about it is really bad, yet somehow it is greater than the sum of its very shoddy parts. I think it was the setting that did it, as DMH used every cliche in the book. Due to this, I think I'll really enjoy Red Dead.

I'll give it a go...

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ
            As much as it pains me to say, I actually enjoyed Dead Man's Hand in a sick and twisted kind of way. Everything about it is really bad, yet somehow it is greater than the sum of its very shoddy parts. I think it was the setting that did it, as DMH used every cliche in the book. Due to this, I think I'll really enjoy Red Dead.

I'll give it a go...

Christ!!! if you actual liked DMH then i can see why you like games like thief 3..
            But you should play RDR its western cliche is far far better than DMH.

Comment

The biggest shortcoming of the game is that the levels are way to short.
              The best looking, most dynamic level of the game is the opening level....which i thought would lead to great things, but it's all downhill from their.

Comment

Just finished it a few minutes ago.

While the opening chapter of the game are great, it slip sinto medicrity throughout the middle. However, the last 6 chapters of the game are pure GOLD. My hands were sweating buckets due to the hardness, scale and coolness of the gun fights. Well worth seeing through to the end.

Wish i could get rid off the damn forced borders though, that really f**ks me off to no end!!

Comment

Is it just me or is this really very... meh!

I'm up to the gatling gun/English fella bit and it's all rather crap, weak gfx, average controls, poor AI.

I 'spose it could be that I'm coming down from completing RE:4, but I expected more from this.

Comment

Nah, it's not just you. I thought it was pants.

Having said that, the bit you're at (with the gatling gun) was as far as I went. Maybe it gets better.

Comment

Ok, I've been persevering with this and got past the horrible Pig Josh boss fight, the weird circus boss guy (who was very cheap, BTW) and onto the Bessie boss fight which was a lot more entertaining, as was the whole level running up to that point. It's a canyon level and was quite nicely designed with both near and distant (on the other side of the canyon) enemies of varying skills. I'm also starting to get a feel for the gunplay, and it's fun.

A lot of it is shabby, making it a 5 or 6 out of ten, but there are some really nice bits and the gun play is quite good (even without the dead-eye/bullet time stuff).

What I had to get past was, it's not Resident Evil 4 but let's face it, nothing much is of that quality . It was a mistake going straight from that to this, but sticking with it, it's not without it's merits.

Comment

Working...
                      X