Super Mario Bros. 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Mario Bros. 3

I can?t believe I never properly played this in the past. I gave up. I didn?t like. I was mad, a fool and unforgivable. An entire classic Mario experience was absent from my gaming history. If I had a Victorian ?D? hat of old, I would be wearing it without shame right this very moment?

?Super Mario World? has always secured a firm place in my heart as well as ?Yoshi?s Island? (countless hours spent on my Snes and now played to death on my beloved SP). I may be inclined to say ?Yoshi?s Island? is just ahead of SMW in the level design ? but there is no doubting it succeeds its younger brother in terms of character, colour, imagination and beauty. Yet Super Mario World is a classic that will always remain playable and a true example of how to make a platform game. Which is better or not is irrelevant ? both are utterly superb.

While holding dear these two fantastic experiences (im sure we all can agree they are more then just games ? each creating and holding personal memories for each of us, a sense of joy which has been felt and will be felt years after their initial release) ive never really even considered giving ?Super Mario Bros 3? another go. I mean? why should I? Not having played it on its release would mean the experience of new would be eluded from me? surely I would have already seen everything it had to offer in the later released titles mentioned above?

My goodness? *Hangs head in shame*

The GBA re-release did tempt me. But I never really felt the urge to part with my cash to get it. Then completely out of the blue my darling girlfriend bought it for me. Shocked, surprised and totally happy with receiving a gift I started to play. This was about 2weeks ago and I haven?t stopped playing since. On the bus, in bed, sunbathing and even on the loo? Mario has been there with me. I am amazed by how incredible it is. Really am. At first it seems a bit? meh? the jumping feels a little lighter then that of SMW and Mario himself looks funny. Plus not being able to re-do levels is annoying? but this sense of ?meh? soon turns into ?!? and hours spent with an incredibly content smile slapped on my face.

The level of challenge is far beyond both Super Mario World and Yoshi?s Island, which is most welcome, and yet the need to re-play over and over is far greater due to the smaller levels. The levels all seem to have been crafted with a sense of design perfection yet the latter levels truly shine. Also how there are so many secrets, hidden areas, items and routes it is beyond comprehension.

I apologize for the possibly too excited tone, however playing Mario Bros 3 has been like opening a entire corridor of locked doors in my gaming. I feel like a huge chunk of ?wow? and unknowing has just been sitting there? waiting for me to get my arse into gear and buy the bloody game. heh

Anyone else been playing this recently? To those who had the pleasure of playing on release or soon after, is it still as good as you remember or have the newer games taken some of the shine? Or? maybe? just maybe you don?t actually like it. Or maybe you feel it still remains as the best example of how to do a proper platformer. Please share your thoughts.

Kind regards
    Adam
    ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Originally posted by Adam Stone
    On the bus, in bed, sunbathing and even on the loo? Mario has been there with me.
    Maybe taking the Mario love a little too far there

Yes, Mario 3 is great. Awesome even. It is certainly a bigger and tougher challenge than SMW. All this makes me feel guilty I never played Yoshi's Island now...

Comment

Working...
    X