Majority of Premiership players go bankrupt 5 years after retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Majority of Premiership players go bankrupt 5 years after retirement

According to this article 60% of them blow their lot in five years.

Also, it seems a third of them are divorced within a year of retirement.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the fact that there's a charity for them.

I'm finding it between hard and impossible to have any sympathy. Maybe the answer is for Premiership clubs to have it in the contract that a small part of the wages gets invested for them, but they shouldn't need to be infantalised like that.

I don't feel sorry for them but I'm not surprised at all. A problem like this will continue to happen when you have young talents in demand and being paid millions. Just look at the behaviour of a player like Raheem Stirling. An absolute talent on the pitch, only potential mind but he has been demanding mega wages and acts like a tool off the pitch, certainly according to the press.

Comment

I'm sure they learned a lot along the way.

Comment

Good. The majority of pro football players I've met have been the definition of the word twat. Most of them are pretty much man childs who have no idea about living in the real world and if you've ever heard any of their wags speak they have roughly the depth of an empty cup of tea and are disgustingly shallow.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
          Also, it seems a third of them are divorced within a year of retirement.
          That's rather sad and highlights what must be a permanent area of self-doubt and anxiety for the very rich - not knowing whether those around you are there for you or just your money.

Comment

Former England player Lee Hendrie speaks to BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme about how he went from multi-millionaire to bankrupt

Read the comments.

Zero sympathy for this tool and his ilk.

"I invested wisely"

Why are there comments about you throwing money at strippers then?

The charity stuff is disgusting too.

Comment

Working...
            X