Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hu-Card problem

Hi all,
    I got a copy of Out Run on Hucard from Japan (ebay).
    The game boots up fine on my Supergrafx, lets you select the music,
    then the screen freezes when the game should start. Music still runs.
    The contacts on the card are clean and there is no sign of damage,
    do you guys reckon this hucard is busted? I haven't had any problems with the console before, and thought that if a card was broken it wouldn't boot at all.
    It might be a bit of hassle to return and get a refund from Japanese ebay seller, especially for just a few quid, so I thought that I'd ask here first.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott.
    Attached Files

Are you sure the contacts are clean? I've had cards that looked totally clean and wouldn't work, but were magically fixed by wiping the contacts with isopropyl. If you don't have any of that, try inserting and removing the card many many times (this scrapes the dirt off the contacts I think. This also works on cartridges and is the real reason taking them out and blowing them works). If that doesn't work, sounds like the card really is knackered. Why don't you melt it and find out what's inside.

Comment

Yes, what noobish said. And if it doesn't work after that, give me a shout and i'll sell you a working one.

Comment

A long time back I had a PC Engine GT that would not play Out Run and did the exact same thing the shop even sent me different copies to try and they all did the same. Game started then sat with a blank screen just showing the sky same as yourself.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies!
          Will get some isopropanol when i'm out today.
          Thanks again, scott.

Comment

Any solvent will do that is not oil based - but just try a pencil eraser first.

Comment

Originally posted by Max P. View Post
              Any solvent will do that is not oil based - but just try a pencil eraser first.
              Nnnnnoooooo! Terrible thing to do! This leaves tiny bits of rubber all over the contacts which can knacker the card and inside of the system over time. Stick to a solvent.

Comment

Melt it!

Comment

I've cleaned hundreds of NES and SNES carts with a eraser and always brush of the excess bits. Have used the same two Nintendo consoles for years, no problems with either of them.

Comment

Originally posted by nem View Post
                    I've cleaned hundreds of NES and SNES carts with a eraser and always brush of the excess bits. Have used the same two Nintendo consoles for years, no problems with either of them.
                    Doesn't mean it won't damage them over time.

Comment

Agree with Nem, I've done similar and usually brushed off any excess with a clean piece of paper. Never had any trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                        A long time back I had a PC Engine GT that would not play Out Run and did the exact same thing the shop even sent me different copies to try and they all did the same. Game started then sat with a blank screen just showing the sky same as yourself.
                        Outrun seems to be a funny one. My copy never worked on my GT or my US Duo with the Kisado.

Comment

Working...
                        X